Bonsai tool question?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by SUNRIZE, Apr 10, 2008.

1. SUNRIZE

SUNRIZE Active Member

I finally was able to buy my first set of bonsai tools and I would really like to keep my cutters sharp could someone here please tell me how to sharpen them? I don’t want to experiment and ruin them.

Thanks for your help… : )

2. codyb89

codyb89 Active Member

I think limestone?

3. SUNRIZE

SUNRIZE Active Member

Let me try this one more timewhen you sharpen the concave cutters how do you get to both insides of the blades? I know this is a really stupid questiondo I need a special tool or is there a stone? Here is a pic off the netI just dont know how to get into that little groove? I just dont want to start fooling around and damage them.

http://www.shbonsai.com/graphics/products/cutters/1169-8169_L.jpg

Thanks again anyone : )

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

If you have never sharpened tools, I would take them to a professional sharpener.

However, I regularly use my Dremel and a small limestone wheel to sharpen my other pruning tools - just go carefully in short strokes.

If they're really tiny, you can sometimes get what are called sharpening papers at places like Lee Valley Veritas or other deluxe toolmakers - these are basically very high-grit metal sandpapers; if you can't find them then just go to Loew's and pick up the finest metal sandpaper (by this I mean a sandpaper for use in finishing metals; the materia is probably emery) you can get your hands on... Because they're flexible it's much easier to use them on small edges - wrap around and pull in one direction for the best sharpening, the same way you would use a normal whetstone. Takes a while to get a good edge this way, but you won't damage the tool any. I use this to sharpen my miniature boxmaker's planes.

5. SUNRIZE

SUNRIZE Active Member

Lorax, I believe I will follow your advice and look for a professional sharpener …I didn’t think about the dremel …hmm? Nah.. Its ok let someone with more experience do it for me.

Thanks… : )