pruning my little blue spruce

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by sssbbc, Apr 3, 2008.

1. sssbbc

sssbbc Member

I have a newly planted blue spruce that we planted last summer, its about two feet tall and its had a little growth but not much, I read that if i prune it some every year that it will be fuller as it grows. If thats true I need to know when to prune it and how much to cut off. Also when my husband bought it, it had a bare spot on one side and that has seemed to get worse as it has grown, is there anything I can do to prevent it from getting worse or will it fill out as it grows. Thanks Shawna

2. smivies

smivies Active Member

When pruning spruce (Picea), Fir (Abies), and Pine (Pinus) for fuller/denser growth, it must be done on current year's growth only, preferably sometime in late June. Shear the new growth back to no more than 2/3 and DO NOT cut last year's growth as these trees have limited or no ability to form new buds on 1 year or older wood. After 2-3 years of this treatment, the tree will be significantly denser but you'll have to continue doing it every year to maintain the effect.

Simon

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Pruning wrecks the natural symmetry of the branching. It'll look a lot better if not pruned at all. The bare patch will be hidden more quickly too if it is not pruned.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If bare spot is some kind of infestation it may not improve with time. The closer you prune the tighter and less natural the tree will appear. Depends on if you prefer the appearance of a sheared Christmas tree over a natural one, effects produced are the same with same kinds of conifers growing in the ground.

5. sssbbc

sssbbc Member

thank you so much for the info, it will help.

6. jimfreschi

jimfreschi Member

I have a very tall, old spruce tree. Will it hurt the tree if I prune the bottom 10 -20 feet of branches. The tree is about 60 feet tall.

I don't want to touch the tree but it's a "trade off" situation. I have to allow passage on the nearby public sidewalk and I need to let more light in around the area so I can get some other plant life going.

7. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Is the bare spot worse, or could it just look worse because new growth on one side is so much better and makes the other side look worse?

As far as pruning, those are not really very easy trees to prune, and in my own point of view, don't look nice when sheared.

Recent research indicates that skipping pruning for a couple of years helps trees establish better.

About jim's last reply and question...

Sounds like you want to head the same direction that I would if I had one. I don't like foliage to the ground, and like to walk beneath.

On an old blue spruce, the limbs droop, so to raise the canopy 10' means making cuts at the trunk up near 16', maybe to 20' depending on the angle and droop.

Try to remove no more than 15% of the canopy per year.

Maybe consider taking the canopy up 10' but do it in 2 years, removing 5 feet per year.

8. jimfreschi

jimfreschi Member

Vaden: yes, the branches definitely droop. Thanks for the info. I must think carefully about this decision.