Creeping fig

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Takolikar, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Takolikar

Takolikar Member

I have a creeping fig(Ficus pumila). I was told that some of the ficus plants like the weeping fig(Ficus benjamina) that is really similar to my creeping fig can be trained to grow like bonsais. I am interested in giving this a try. But right now my plant is really bushy, and small. I was wondering if i can train this plant to grow a woody thick stem just like other bonsai trees. And if this is possible can you tell me the right way to do this. Or if you can give a site for this kind of work would also help alot.

2. mannygo

mannygo Member

Short answer: you need time and work. Lots.

Long answer: start with this article about figs from Jerry Meislik, the "bonsai hunk".

3. bonsai MD

bonsai MD Member

a quick way to jump start a thick trunk is to plant your tree in the ground and fertilize it alot. if you cant plant in the ground, then try a large container. there are articles on "super feeding" on the internet that should be helpful. with propper feeding and lots of room for the roots to develop unristicted, your tree should get more girth in just a few seasons. make shure that if you use a container, the soil can drain freely. if your super feeding your tree, you need to water more often. just make shure you dont drown the roots. Happy growing and good luck!!