King Palm Trouble

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by hapahaole, Mar 25, 2008.

1. hapahaole

hapahaole Member

Hello,

I recently purchased some King Palms from Costco, they are multi trunk about 12 feet tall. I planted them about 6 weeks ago and they are not looking so good. The leaves are starting to turn brown and some look like they are dead. I do notice some new growth small green spears growing from the centers of some trunks. Someone said they are sun burned? and say they will recover. I water them about every 1 1/2 weeks, they sit in full sun most of the day. I'm concerned about the way they are looking. I also purchased from Costco 2 Pygmy Date Palms, they are about 4 to 5 feet in height, and planted them about the same time and they are looking wonderful. I live in Southern California near the coast, with warm conditions during the day and mildly cool evenings that are warming up. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

It may be transplant shock, a photo would help...

Ed

3. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I agree with Ed. It's not unusual for palms to exibit the conditions you've discribed after being planted. These palms are generally grown under ideal conditions and in containers their entire lives. A period of adjustment is expected for the palm to root into it's new surroundings. A lot depends on the type of palm, as some are less inclined to transplant shock, while others seem to nearly die before picking up.

Cheers, LPN.

4. hapahaole

hapahaole Member

Guys,

Thanks for the reply's. I just went and took some photos the sun is very bright so I'm not sure if there is enough detail. Hope this helps.

Thanks

Attached Files:

5. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Mate, they look like they will pull through, just a bit of transplant shock oand probably a bit more sun that they are used to...

Ed

6. hapahaole

hapahaole Member

Thanks Ed