Rostonea regia in Lower Mainland?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Michael Anderson, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Michael Anderson

Michael Anderson Member

This is probably absolutely nuts to anyone who really knows palms, but I have to ask. We received some Royal Palm seeds for Christmas from a friend who knows I'm crazy about all things Caribbean. I imagine I can start it indoors, but where do I go from there? Will it thrive nicely potted indoors? Is there any way it could ever be transplanted outside (we live in Coquitlam)?

In any case I will be content knowing I can keep it as an indoor plant, and would appreciate any and all advice on keeping it healthy and happy.

cheers,
    Michael.

2. Wes North Van

Wes North Van Active Member 10 Years

Inside Palm

You could bring it out during the summer but this is an indoor palm. They are rated zone 10 to 11 and Coquitlam is probably a zone 7b or 8a at best.

3. Michael Anderson

Michael Anderson Member

cheers Wes

Thanks for warning, I didn't think it likely but had to ask.

:)
    Michael.

4. Michael Anderson

Michael Anderson Member

as long as I'm on the subject...

Can anyone tell me a good source for palm food in the Lower Mainland? I read recently that it doesn't need to be labelled "Palm Food" as such, but ought to be 8-4-12 and contain 3-4% magnesium and manganese (U. of Florida recommendation from http://mgonline.com/fertilize.html).

Thanks,
    Michael.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Choice of fertilizer for outdoor plants should be based on sampling and analysis of soil. Potting media also vary. If there is a potting mix the Florida recommendations are intended for and you are using the same mix, then the nutrient mix they are suggesting might be appropriate, othewise...

Another factor that affects fertilization is water quality, as minerals in irrigation water react with nutrient elements in the soil (and potting media).

6. Michael Anderson

Michael Anderson Member

sampling and analysis? good Lord!

Hi Ron,

Soil quality outdoors is at this pont easily seen at a glance as "crappy", but we are working on that. We moved here in May and the neglect was definitely long-term.

The Royals will be indoors for their entire lives barring relocation to warmer climes, and I also have one sad Majesty that needs recovery, and I want to feed it ASAP. I didn't know the fertilizer should be adjusted to the soil, so will take that into consideration.

Anyone have sources for me?

thanks,
    Michael.