Cordilines and Magnolias

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by dearnaley, Feb 16, 2008.

1. dearnaley

dearnaley Member

I have a cordilines which has been in the ground for 4 years. It is about 3 foot high and has last year produced 'babies' round the bottom, These are now growing strong round the base. I need to move this cordiline to reorganise my garden but I dont want to lose the plant. Has anyone any advise.

I also want to move a magnolia which has not been doing well. I thought I would put it in a Large pot. Again has anyone any ideas if this would be a good move.
    Thanks

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Should be possible to transplant the cordyline. Plants in pots require more attention than those in the ground, what would be good to try with the magnolia depends on what is wrong with it.

3. dearnaley

dearnaley Member

Thanks. The magnolia just hasn't grown. It buds each year but it is very twiggy and thin.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Possibly needs some nutrient supplementation. As with other shrubs poor, yellowish leaf color would point to this. Impeded drainage could also cause similar appearance and response. Magnolias specifically are also prone to honey fungus (Armillaria), a plant under attack has poor top growth as the fungus attempts to sort of pinch off the top and turn it into dead wood for it to decompose. A specimen resisting the attack might malinger for years or even survive, don't know about magnolias doing this but old hybrid rhododendrons here often have small sections of dried out rhizomorphs on them - as though the fungus failed to kill the tops. Maybe this is due to dry summers and negligent watering prevalent in gardens here, rather than resistance of the rhododendrons! (Armillaria must have moisture).

I had the entire top of a bigleaf magnolia about 15 ft. tall die suddently last summer. Honey-colored mushrooms had been popping up some yards away for a few years or so...

5. Xavier3520

Xavier3520 Member

dearnaley do u have any cuttings that i can buy from u :D

6. dearnaley

dearnaley Member

Sorry no. I wouldn't know how to take them. I am not an experienced Gardener.

7. Xavier3520

Xavier3520 Member

well u can cut off all of it leaving 4-5 inches of stem to gernerate new growth and depending on the size of the cuttings u can divide them into 5 inch cuttings :D well let me know what u decide because u might have to cut them off and probably dont think u would like to cut them off :D ok well thanks and hope what i explained helps :D