Meyer lemon tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Milton, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Milton

Milton Member

Hi!
    Can anyone help? I have a 2 year old Meyer lemon tree which tried to fruit the first year when all the baby lemons turned yellow and fell off. It is planted in a very large square pot in the recommended soil on an outside balcony with good morning sunlight.This year looks very promising as there are about 16 lemons about the size of a billiard ball and they look healthy. The tree is now blossoming again quite heavily. My problem is that some of the leaves on the main stem are turning yellow and dropping. I water heavily once per week and use a slow release fertiliser also as recommended. One last thing, there seems to be a few very small black scales on a few branches which are easily removed with a finger nail. Any advice??

2. HOPELR

HOPELR Member

This year my myers lemmon tree is only producing lemons on the bottome third of the tree. Why don't the lemons grow above that point? Is there anything I should be doing?
    Hope

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Milton, yellow leaves are a very common symptom for many citrus deficiencies, and diseases. You will have to describe the leaf coloration in greater detail, or post a picture of your tree. We need detailed information such as color of the leaf blade, color of the leaf veins, shape of the discoloration and etc. One last comment, water a citrus tree only when the top 2-3 inches of the container becomes rather dry (deeper in very large containers) . Watering on a time basis, such as once a week or ever four days, can lead to trouble. Watering requirements change according to the season.

4. Milton

Milton Member

Thank you.

I will photograph the tree. It seems I may have been overwatering and I will take your advice. Milton.

5. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Citrus trees often drop fruit at the marble size as the trees adjust the fruit load to what it can support to maturity (this is often only about 1% of the fruit that originally set). However, overwatering or underwatering can cause damage to the roots and limit what the tree can support. Lack of fertilizer will also reduce what the tree can support.

The scaley spots may be scale-- they can be killed with oil spray or a soap spray.

6. Milton

Milton Member

Thanks,

I will get an oil spray.

Milton.

7. Gregn

Gregn Active Member 10 Years

Milton, IF you have scale, make sure you use a summer type horticultural oil and DO NOT USE dormant oil. A photo will help to diagnose. Scale is a problem that for me is ongoing....spider mites are also a problem for me.