How to fix my blown down willow tree.

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by delikatny, Nov 20, 2007.

1. delikatny

delikatny Member

Last winter we had a huge dump of rain to get the ground all soggy, then those big winds that ripped apart stanley park.
    My back lawn was built on very hard packed heavy soil and the tree roots tend to grow quite shallow. I have a curley willow tree that is growing very well but the wind took it down last year. It was about 30 ft high by 11 in through the trunk.

There was a large flat root "ball" typical of shallow rooted trees. Just after it blew down we winched it back up, pruned it to 20 ft and have staked it back using heavy duty wire rope and some steel pipes serving as stakes. In the spring we added about 10 inches of fairly heavy soil around the tree in about a 30 ft diameter circle. The tree survived the summer thankfully and now with winter winds I can see it pulling on the wires a bit.

I question however when I should think about loosening the cables. In my way of thinking, the tree will not develop roots where needed unless there is wind stress on the tree. There is almost no tension on the wires now but I was thinking maybe next summer I should slack them off a bit more and then a bit more for about 3 years total.

Then I could put a shorter "just in case" cable on it that is quite loose.

Does this time frame sound adequate or should I give it more time?

Thank You
    D

2. Todd82TA

Todd82TA Member

I'm definitely not an expert, but I'll try my best!

What do you have the cables attached to? Are they just attached to stakes in the ground? When this tree gets much bigger, you're likely going to have all of the same problems. Really, you're just postponing the inevitable. A tree like that typically needs a windbreak, or special ground cover to help keep the roots planted.

Is this tree out in the open? If so, you could try planting some smaller trees around it to create a wind-break to prevent this from happening again. Or, you could try a ground cover that will help strengthen the ground around the tree (to prevent it from pulling up).

In some cases, you can also place rocks and / or boulders around the tree.

I would only loosen the cables if it appears as though the tree is being strained by them, otherwise... if they don't bother you, why not leave them in until the tree has had a few seasons to help re-root itself.

Good luck!

Todd (Zone 10b)

3. delikatny

delikatny Member

There is a natural wind break but the tree will need to be kept pruned smaller that's all. The cables are anchored to steel pipes driven 4 feet into very hard ground. They are not going to come out but they are kind of bothersome. I might take one out and leave the less bothersome one in. I am willing to wait as long as it takes to let the tree root. There is no room to plant anything else here and there are natural wind barriers.

The big question remains as to whether the cables will make the tree "lazy" and not grow roots on the windward side. Why should it. It wont tip over with the cables attached. I wonder if wind stresses promote certain root growth.

The small question is how many years will the roots take to grow. Probably a pretty hard one to answer, but this tree does grow fast and is very happy where it is.
    We are now providing it with new layers of soil to increase the root ball's ability to become larger.

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Trees respond to stresses like movement or flexing with reaction wood, a well formed trunk will have large trunk flare (think elephants foot) at its base. Excessive restraint will diminish the creation of this tissue, consider a dynamic restraint system vs a static restraint system. Contact pacific arborist supply in north van or fraser valley equipment in surrey, they should be able to direct you to the materials to use or a professional that can install a system for you.

That in mind, if it failed due to soil that was over field capacity, a restraint system likely wouldnt help as its not a tree failure but a soil failure.

Willow generally are very well rooted and fast rooting trees. Taking 10 feet off the top is a curious treatment, I understand that it would reduce the surface area of the canopy and therefore reduce windsail but it also would remove 30% of the foliage (roughly) which is the food producing factory of the tree, this is the food it needs to recover and regenerate its stored energy in its now diminished root system.

5. mrtree

mrtree Active Member

Jimmyq is incorrect in his description of reaction wood. Reaction wood is the result of gravity, a different set of wood is created by movement (thigmomorphogensis). They are seperate issues.

That being said you have a serious problem on your hands, though one you have treated fairly well. Tethering using a system such as Cobra Cables, will allow some movement and resultant growth in the roots and trunk(s). Removal of the top of a willow is not as much of a concern as removing the top of a "hardwood". If reducing the sail of the tree is what is need to save the stability of the tree then that is what is needed.

If you have water logged soils perhaps other remedial action may help. Drainage channels etc. may work as perhaps soil remediation using an air knife etc.

Skip calling an arborist, the bulk are tree slashers and will likely suggest cutting down the tree. Certified arborist have essentially no qualifications and are brainwashed to consider hazard and risk as the reason why all trees must be cut down. You need a thinking prerson that understands advanced theories about trees. Contact Julian Dunster & Associates Environmental Consultants Ltd. if you are concerned enough to get a truly qualified answer.