Jade Plant - what is this?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Plant Newbie, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Plant Newbie

Plant Newbie Active Member

Hi everyone,

I am the new owner of a jade plant. I noticed recently that there appear to be little roots coming out of some of the stems near the leaves. Is this normal? What does that mean?

Thanks! Roanna

Attached Files:

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

I've never seen that before, but the tree sure looks healthy so I would worry. If it had just been moved then this might be some strange reaction to the transition. I would just keep an eye out for problems and enjoy that nice new plant.

3. Plant Newbie

Thanks, I just re-potted it and moved it to a very sunny window. Maybe that is the reason for the new little roots. I've only had the plant for a few weeks so I want to make sure that I'm taking care of it properly!!

4. Plant Newbie

I'm still curious what is the purpose of those little roots...

5. Darrow

Darrow Member

I have those roots on my jade plants as well, even when they are still small, i.e. in 4" pots. I think it just a means whereby the plant would be able to propagate a new plant in the event that a piece would be broken off. I have experienced this. The roots of the broken off piece grab hold in the ground and viola a new jade plant.

6. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

7. elsah

elsah Member

This probably is normal. It may be that it is finding some water in the air. It may also be that you need to cover it up more. From elsah

8. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

they're called air-roots and they do occur from time to time (i don't know what causes them, tho). perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.

they DO come in handy if they're there and you want to trim a piece off and start a new plant - helps the new plant become established more quickly.

9. Plant Newbie

Great! I can't wait to try that!