Is my cactus cactus???

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Joy Cooper, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Joy Cooper

Joy Cooper Active Member

I have three mammillaria cacti, all bought roughly @ the same time, from the same shop, planted in the same potting mix & getting the same care. They are in individual pots on a tray so they are exposed to the same conditions, which is on an outside protected patio, getting a.m. sun. The hahniana & the bocasana are looking quite good, in fact the bocasana has flowered despite its small size, BUT, the matudae is getting smaller & smaller. Looks as though it is imploding. Do your cactus experts think it is worthwhile persisting with , or just cut my losses, remove it & buy a new one. Have read they can die for no real reason, is this true?? Many thanks for any advice.

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

In my experience, cactus that shrink in size are either rotting, or have dried inside for whatever reason.

3. Joy Cooper

Joy Cooper Active Member

Thanks Bluewing, I think I'll call it quits & put it out of its misery. The poor thing looks quite deflated. I guess my cactus really is cactus. Ah well, you can't win 'em all, can you??

4. Joy Cooper

Joy Cooper Active Member

Removed the cactus. It had no roots left & when dissected, was completely dried out inside. Whatever the cause, it did happen quickly. The other two appear to be ok. Another mystery.