t wagnerianus ? what to do with seeds these seeds?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by abbotsfordpalmman, Aug 21, 2007.

1. abbotsfordpalmman

abbotsfordpalmman Active Member

hey everyone !!
    two quick questions....

first off, i have 5 windmill palms in my yard and this one looks waay different than all the others ... its fans are wider with segments further apart and much more slender. could this be just a natural variation in T. Fortunei or is it T wagnerianus ? (see first pic)

Second.... i have a bunch of seeds sitting on my mediterranean fan palm... are they good for anything? (see second pic)

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Trachycarpus wagnerianus has much smaller and very stiff leaflets. It develops two "whiskers" or filiments on the center underside of the leaf section. Your's in most certainly a variation of T. fortunei.

If your Chamaerops humilis (Mediterranean fan palm) seeds ripen, yes you can harvest them. All pulp must be removed before attemping germination.

Cheers, LPN.

4. abbotsfordpalmman

how will i know if the seeds ripen ? also anyone of you guys want them if they do ?

5. LPN

Right now they should be an olive green color in large clusters. The seeds are reniform (kidney shaped) and will ripen on the tree over winter, usually ripening to a dark purplish color by February.
    Do you have a pollenated female T. wagnerianus. I'm in if you're willing to part with some. Just let me know what you'd like for renumeration.

Cheers, LPN.

6. abbotsfordpalmman

i dont have pollenated female T.wagnerianus although i had been inquiring into my one palm which resembles it... but i guess its just a variation of t. fortunei that i have. but if you still want mediterranean seeds thats no problem.

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yep, that's what all "T. wagnerianus" are, just variations of T. fortunei. This myth of it being a distinct species needs to be nailed!

8. LPN

This would explain why no wild populations of T. wagnerianus exist. Not all "waggie" seeds grow and develop with this diminutive leaf, reverting back to the "fortunei" state.
    Also, the odd "fortunei" seed will grow and develop into a "wagnerianus" mutation.

Cheers, Barrie.

9. Tom24

Tom24 Active Member

I Will take some of your seeds as well.

Tom24

10. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

If your into mailing, I also would love to get some seeds from you. If your willing to part, let me know how I can get some ( self address stamped envelope or the like.)