Identification: What is this?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by kingj, Aug 15, 2007.

1. kingj

kingj Member

Can anyone tell me what plant I have here. I thought it was a succulent. I think is smells a lot like pinesol though when you rub the leaves.

Attached Files:

2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

It looks like Plectranthus ernstii, a semi-succulent (and caudex-forming) species from the eastern Cape Province of South Africa, which is evidently rare in its native range. Very aromatic leaves and easy to grow. It doesn't appear to have a common name that I could find. Perhaps we should invite people to make one up.

3. kingj

kingj Member

Having done some more research with this lead I find that it is not the Plectranthus, but thank you for the suggestion!

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

it looks a bit like a kalanchoe to me...the scalloped leaves are similar to the kalanchoe i have.

there are hundreds of varieties...

5. TonyR

TonyR Active Member

It's a Plectranthus without doubt, I would have thought Plectranthus neochilus, which is often erroneously identified as "Cuban oregano".

6. kingj

kingj Member

This may be a plectranthus, but I do not believe it to be neochilus either, all photos I have compared to resemble features, but do not mirror my specimen. Also I have never seen them flower before, what are the photo period requirements? Thanks for all the info!