the impossible, anyone?

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by sungodess134, Apr 28, 2007.

1. sungodess134

sungodess134 Active Member

I have an area in my yard that backs up to my screened-in patio, it's roughly about 30 ft long and 3-4 ft wide. This area receives virtually no sun, maybe an hour or two in the late afternoon. It is also planted with 3 sets of equally spaced hedges (not sure what kind, possibly boxwood?) The screens were tore out for quite a while and my dog has gotten used to going back there and scratching herself on the branches, so the area is quite trod upon, although we have replaced the screens and are trying to keep her out. I would like to place some type of pretty, sturdy ground cover back there. Can anyone give me a suggestion as to what might possibly grow. I live in S. FL and the 'dirt' is in reality mostly sand, it would be very costly to get some good dirt in there. So what I need is a pretty, sturdy ground cover-like plant that grows in sand with virtually no sun :) Any takers? thank you, me.

2. *N*E*R*D*

*N*E*R*D* Member

hey, i have a suggestion. Euonymus fortunei 'Coloratus' , or purple wintercreeper euonymus, or a variation of that plant. It is a very resiliant plant given some water, it has a widley addaptable soil range (sand, clay, etc..). Although Euonymus is kind of overused, its a really tough plant and i think it would suit that specified area.

Rob

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

If you're not worried about your dog getting back in there, you could try a creeping opuntia of some sort... Otherwise, wooly thyme might work.