Everbearing Raspberry Availability

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by blueberry, May 3, 2014.

1. blueberry

blueberry Member

Hello,

There was a similar thread a few years ago but there weren't any solid responses so I thought i would start up a new thread.

I'm looking for the 'Caroline' everbearing raspberry variety but I haven't had any luck. Looked at all of the garden centers in Richmond, BC, Art Knapps in Surrey and still haven't found it. Any one know of a place in the Lower Mainland that is currently carrying this variety?
    What about an online store in Canada? Found plenty in the US but none that is in Canada and can ship in Canada.

If all else fails, looks like I can still get 'Autumn Bliss' and 'Heritage' which is easily available locally. Any feedback that can convince me to go with these 2 over Caroline? Does any one in the lower mainland have problems getting all of their Heritage raspberries to ripen in the fall?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I've grown Caroline, Heritage, Fall Gold, and one other variety of everbearing raspberries; and to me Caroline is by far the most productive and tastiest of the bunch. The plants are also the most vigorous: able to compete with the June-bearing varieties that I grow between them. I bought a single Caroline plant quite a few years ago when they were readily available, but I haven't seen any for sale recently. They are a patented variety that growers can't sell without a license from the patent holder. However, I'm quite willing to give one away; they propagate like weeds. Send me a PM if you want one.