Mystery structure on brugmansia --- bloom?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Thomas Anonymous, Sep 30, 2006.

1. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Here's a pic of a variegated Brugmansia I have that's loaded with buds. By mid to late October it should be a riot of bloom.
    Carol ... I'm not the least bit envious of Gene. He's the champ, hands down! Perhaps I win in the other department where Gene fails? Now I'm sounding like Dave on UKO. lol!

Cheers, LPN.

Attached Files:

2. Thomas Anonymous

Thomas Anonymous Active Member

I read somewhere that they really respond to warm root feedings where you mix the fertilizer in warm water and apply it directly to the root mass. I'm doing it to mine every day and it seems to like it --- my pod is at least 20mm now. Looks like yours will get there first though, P. The next few days will be critical.

3. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I'll have to stop calling you Barrie, and switch to Dave.

4. Carol Ja

Forgot to ask LPN (Dave ) Is the Brug more temperature sensitive because of the variegation. I have a variegated Arundo Donax ( my boyfriend hates it) I find it isn't remotely cold hardy compared to the other.

5. LPN

"I read somewhere that they really respond to warm root feedings". True, at least in my experience.
    Carol, Calling me Barrie is quite alright, I'm no "Dave".
    I've never grown the variegated Brug outside. I just cut it back hard, and move it into my crawl space, so i'm not sure about hardiness on that one. I planted the varigated Arundo donax this year. It hasn't done much of anything.

Cheers, LPN.

6. Carol Ja

Mine had to stay in a pot, but I shoved in into the shallow end of my pond, it only got about four feet tall, I like the look though, I'm not sure where I can plant it that I'd want to dig it up every year, sound to much like work.
    I might bring it to school, and plant it in the green house.

7. Thomas Anonymous

P. My bloom pod is 4.3 cm now. How long does it have to get for it to open up and make scent? It's hard to guess from looking at pictures of blossoms because there's no scale.

8. LPN

The blooms usually open when they're about 10" to a foot long. Fragrance is only evident during the late afternoon through night and into the early morning hours.
    Cheers, LPN.

9. Thomas Anonymous

Palmera --- how big is your bloom-pod now? Today mine is 54 mm (2 and a 1/4 inches). It's growing fast --- averaging roughly 2 cm/day but it's also becoming real wintery, real quickly. So, the race is indeed on. My brug is small and easily movable, so if I have to I guess I'll move it inside during the colder nights and put it back outside again during the day to get the light it needs. Or maybe I'll rig up a special light for it inside. I know, it's a lot of trouble --- but I think it's worth it because I really want to see (and smell) it blossom!

10. palmera

palmera Active Member

TA, I've been watering my brug with 20/20/20 in warm water quite by accident...I have been mixing it in the house and using a warm temperature just beacuse that's how I turned the water on. Who'd a thunk it actually would help! I measured 70mm today and growing. The forecast is calling for warmer day temps all week (up to 22 wed/thur) and the overnights don't look bad either. I am holding out in the back yard. Fate will determine my results...and, oh ya, greenhouse is too small and plant is too big for the house!

I just finished watching a Sci-fi movie (Sound of Thunder) where the people travelled back in time and of course, messed with the timeline. One of the results is that the plant life morphed into Gianormous structures instantly. Made gunneras look puny. I guess if all else fails, we could go back in time and start our fertilzing process in May!

11. Carol Ja

All of mine are putting off blooms at this point, evertime I turn around I see another one. Not much else blooming at this point.

12. Thomas Anonymous

69mm and getting bigger by the minute.
    It's really liking this sunny weather.

:)

13. palmera

palmera Active Member

80mm...looks like you're catching up!

14. Thomas Anonymous

8 cm --- we should be taking bets on whose will pop first. I'm amazed at how salt-tolerant brugs are. I'm feeding mine at concentration levels of fertilizer that would turn other plants yellow but it just loves it. I've never seen a plant absorb this much fertilizer and not burn --- incredible.

Attached Files:

15. LPN

Here's my entry into the Brugmansia race. It's buds are roughly the same size but this one's a variegated species. Another pic also shows (using a cigarette lighter) just how large the leaves are. 2 feet long!

Cheers, LPN.

Attached Files:

16. LPN

Such a nice Summer like day, I thought I'd take a couple more pics.
    Yellow is just starting to bloom now and Pink has been all summer. The Pink flushes to a richer color after it's been open for a day or two.

Cheers, LPN.

Attached Files:

17. palmera

palmera Active Member

A sign of the times when it is tougher to find a cigarette lighter than it is to take a photo of a brug bud and show it to the world on the net! This bud's for you...

Attached Files:

18. Carol Ja

Well I was going to show you my flowers with the lighter, but I couldn't find one ;)

19. Thomas Anonymous

Well, as long as we're all showing off our plants --- take a look at my sunflower-seed bounty. Nature is such a good teacher --- if you plant just one or two seeds and look after them well, you get back a thousand times as many seeds as when you started. I got all of these from four original seeds. I bought them from a seed shop and I wonder what the chances are that they will be fertile and reproduce consistently. I know some seed products are engineered not to reproduce consistently just so you are dependent on the seed company.

Attached Files:

20. LPN

Do you roast your own sunflower seeds?
    If it weren't for my wife, I wouldn't have found a cigarette lighter either.

Cheers, LPN.

21. Thomas Anonymous

I didn't know you supposed to roast them! Maybe that's why they don't look like the sunflower seeds I'm used to. These ones are too white and the outer shell that's usually dark and hard and brittle seems soft and pliable but the longer they're out of the plant the darker and harder the husks are becoming. I planted them too late, I guess --- many of them are still clearly immature.
    What you really need is a bic lighter tree that grows lighters that you can pick.
    This picture is of some kind of seed pod --- it made such an striking picture up close I just had to take it. Sorry for wandering off topic.

Attached Files:

22. palmera

palmera Active Member

Your mystery seed pod is from a clematis. They really are amazing. After producing such a beautiful flower, they manage to show off an interesting seed pod as well!

23. Thomas Anonymous

Clematis --- ahhh, that's what it is. I've been wondering ever since the house-owner that I'm renting my suite from planted it in the back yard last year.

My as-yet-unopened, first brug bloom is over 9cm long now. When ppl say the bloom has to be ten inches to a foot long to bloom, do they mean the overall length of the un-opened bloom has to be 10-12 inches before it even starts to open? Or do they mean that after it has opened then the length of the pod plus the length of the new petals that unfold after it opens are 10-12 inches? Patience never was one of my virtues ...

24. Carol Ja

They are talking about the un-opened, not including the bloom that comes afterward.
    Your getting lucky with the weather, If it keeps up like this you'll have blooms till Christmas.

25. palmera

palmera Active Member

Neck and neck, TA! Mine is 9 cm as well...