Calamondin help needed

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Crimson&clover, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Crimson&clover

Crimson&clover New Member

Yay or nay on this one?

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

This appears to be a granular product. Opt instead for an alternative in a high-nitrogen, water-soluble fertilizer with micronutrients. The target NPK ratio is 5-1-3. (I use a 30-10-10.) A water-soluble product can be diluted as required and its nutrients are immediately available to the tree.

3. Crimson&clover

Hello
    I’ve been getting so much joy out of watching this little plant come back to life.
    The friend is aware of all my nursing efforts!
    Today I saw these marks on some leaves that give me a new concern!
    Any thoughts??

Attached Files:

4. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Citruses like stability. Moving them around can cause stress. I suspect these marks are from changed conditions after you moved your plant indoors.
    Maybe too much fertilizer can cause similar symptoms. I'd be extra careful with fertilizing in the autumn. I usually don't fertilize my citruses, after repotting. I only add some into the potting mix, when I replant my trees.

5. Junglekeeper

It looks like the tree is making a steady comeback. I wouldn't worry if only a few leaves are affected. However be vigilant of a potential return of spider mites. Continue to fertilize the tree regularly but do so at half strength over the winter months. You can begin to go full strength in the spring when the tree shows active growth.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  6. Junglekeeper

We've come this far so let's be sure the mites haven't returned. Have a close look at the underside of the leaves with the stippling and do a spot check on the normal ones. Alternatively, shake the leaves over a sheet of blank white paper then look for tiny specks that move.

7. Crimson&clover

Ok I dont see anything under the leaves. I shook leaves into paper & see black spots but they aren’t moving.
    The stippling on some new leaves is definitely worse. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

8. Junglekeeper

I'm not sure about this. My calamondin, which does not have a pest problem, also has a few leaves that are like that. My guess is they came about because of environmental changes during their development. Since your tree has had a problem with spider mites in the past they would be the prime suspect. Note that while they move they do so slowly. You might try the paper test again. This time run a clean, dry finger on the specks and see if there is any smearing on the paper.

It is worrisome if you say the problem seems to be getting worse. Do the previously affected leaves get worse or do they remain the same? In other words, is only the new growth being affected? You might try spraying the tree periodically, say every few days, with water. If this is indeed a mite problem that should reduce the damage to the leaves. Further action can then be contemplated. In the meantime, continue to fertilize the tree regularly.

The photo of the leaf underside looks a bit suspicious. There appears to be a couple white spheres on the surface and the bottom right where the leaf is deformed appears to be something left over from a pest. Have a closer look there.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
  9. Joker0116

Joker0116 New Member

How's the plant doing? Also it was cool seeing the plant with new leaves.

10. Crimson&clover

Hello
    Thanks so much for everyone’s help. the plant is doing great. Very happy outside on the porch & a ew fruits are even on it. I appreciate all the good insight!

Attached Files:

Junglekeeper likes this.
  11. Junglekeeper

Looking good! A happy ending then. Thanks for letting us know.

12. vbx

vbx Active Member

wow, I thought it was done for. Great job taking care of it!