Coral bark Maple and the shade.

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Dwn4whadever, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Dwn4whadever

Dwn4whadever Member

Im really torn here. I have my maple but im kind of at a loss for shade around the property. I dont wanna kill the little bugger but i dont know what to consider partial shade. Anyone have a pic of where your tree is posted and the amount of shade it has.

Thanks in Advance

2. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Shade is shade is shade
    By that I mean that shade in Ireland is something rather different from shade in Arizona
    What sort of temperatures does your tree have to endure in the summer in North Carolina?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  3. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

I've seen plenty of nice ones in shade and full sun.

How about planting it in an area that becomes shaded in the afternoon.

4. Dwn4whadever

Dwn4whadever Member

Yeah the temp here is about 80-90 average during th summer with about 100% humdity.
    Hey Vaden how hot does it get in Oregen where you live. I just worried about the leaves getting burned.

5. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Many nurseries sell any seedling with red bark as Coral Bark aka Sango kaku aka Senkaki.
    Does you plant come from a serious grower whi can guarantee 'ancestry'?
    The main concern with Sango kaku and sun is not leaf burn but bark coloring. Some will turn red with cold in partial shade and some will not.

Otherwise seedling leaf behaviour under hot sun is very variable (depends on 'your sun' as whiskey said and on the genetic background) and you will have to experience with your local conditions. It is not unusual for people to plant, dig out and replant a given cultivar several times until they are satisfied it is getting the right amount of sun and shade.

Gomero

6. ColbyTrio

ColbyTrio Active Member 10 Years

Maybe that's what is going on with mine. The bark is a pale peach color (no red in it at all) and has been for about a year now. It gets afternoon shade and a lot of water.

7. Dwn4whadever

Dwn4whadever Member

Well mine right now is quite red but i have only had it for two days. I actually have it outside right now not planted. Yesterday it was in the garage.

8. Dwn4whadever

Dwn4whadever Member

You make a good point there..... I feel like a kid who rusted into buying something without doing my homework. I remembered seeing another name one the tag. Well i dig it out the trash and it says Coral bark maple on oneside and Beni Kawa on the other. I guess this is like a hybrid or something of the Sango kaku. That is the one i really wanted but i guess you live and you learn.LOL. I am only 26 so this wont be the last tree that i buy, next time i will do my homework.

9. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Beni kawa is a similar cultivar to Sango kaku. To me the leaves look different in the picture in "Maples for Gardens", but I don't yet grow the plant so I haven't evaluated it myself.

I think it is meant to be less finicky than Sango kaku, and as such will probably stand the light quite well. That is certainly the case with the other "improvement" cultivar, Eddisbury. However as I say I don't have Beni kawa, although I certainly intend to plant it at some point.

I have 4 plants labeled "Sango kaku," and they all stay quite red all year. They are flaming right now, as is Eddisbury. Unfortunately one of them is probably dying: I've been cutting back wilt branches all winter, it's getting pretty small... just too much water and not enough cold this winter. Of the 2 in full sun the sick one scorches much more than the healthy one. The 2 in pots do not like full sun, they burn easily; but that is my experience with most maples in pots.

My philosophy on maples in the ground and sun, is that they take a while to get habituated, but if they survive (big if) they do fine later. Good luck!

-E

10. Dwn4whadever

Dwn4whadever Member

Ok i got up early this morning and i was checking on th positioning of the sun and i found out that i house and surrounding trees in the back will provide shade till aboue 10-1030am and then the tree will be in full sun until about 3-4. This will probably be a bit earlier depending on how long it takes for the trees in the back to get there leaves back.

Also emery i think the one i maybe a bit tougher but the leafs are a bit bigger and IMO i dont think they will be as brilliant as the Sango Kaku.

11. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

My sanko kaku have sun morning and shade in afteroom bark red for many months (9)water normal, is the third sango kaku planted!! Two death for ,many love ,many water ,many fertilize,planted error, etc.etc.

12. Dwn4whadever

Dwn4whadever Member

I put it in some dirt today, Time will tell what it does.

13. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

my sanko kaku in winter zone 9

Attached Files: