Plant lighting with Agro-lite

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by ancameni, Nov 26, 2006.

1. ancameni

ancameni Member

I would like to get my leaf-dropping Ficus Monique some extra light. It is now fairly stable with the leaf-drop. I water it maybe once every 7-10 days and i mist it at least once a day (once a day during the week and twice on the weekend when i am at home) It is growing new leaves but not where he is bald.
    When the leaf-drop started i thought it might be a water issue. Now i think it is a light issue as well.
    Someone here told me about the plant lights. It is just one plant i have problems with and it is in my living room. I don't want to go about a flourescent setup. I bought today, more or less found it, the Philips Agrolite Plant light bulb. 60 Watt. That is all the info that was on the box. I emailed Philip about this to get more info, since googling did nothing to bring up the info i was looking for.
    I understand that the Agrolite is about the equivalent to the Sylvania Gro-lux. Does this bulb heat up? How far do i have the bulb away from the plant. How long would i have to keep the light on? I estimated something between 12 and 16 hours. I hooked up the light to a timer.
    Do you think i am on the right track? I guess i should see some growth by the end of the year!?
    I really appreciate any insight, tips, hint and advice.

Greetings from Kansas

ancameni

2. jamkh

jamkh Active Member

Ficus is a tropical plant where the conditions are warm and humid. Thus they love plenty of sun and moisture. In winter they have to be brought indoor and if supplimented with artificial light will retain some fair degree of growth. Some Ficus species hate to be moved where the light and humidity level differ from their previous location. The first sign of their adaptation is the leaves turn yellow, dries up and drop, sometimes until the branch is completely bare. However buds will regenerate and growth becomes normal again after adjustment to the new conditions. Now your are bringing them from a cool environment into the contrasting heat of the 'grow' lamp, from higher humidity to low. Thus you give the plant a 'cultural shock' and leaf drop is likely. I would advice to expose it to the intense heat in gradual steps by placing it initially a distance of 3 feet and in 3/4 steps within a period of 3/4 weeks bring it to within 10-12" from the bulb.

3. ancameni

ancameni Member

Thanks for the answer.
    But... I have not moved the plant from the original spot since i purchased it. It is still in the same corner by the same window. The plant has never been outside, and quite frankly i would not dare to do so next year.

ancameni

4. PhillyPalms

PhillyPalms Active Member

The agro lights do throw off some heat. Put your hand 12 inches away from it, and you'll definitely feel some heat. I probably would keep it at least that far, if not further. Also, the light too, may cause some additional leaf drop. 12 to 16 hours is good. No less than 12 though. You ARE on the right track. Enjoy!

5. Rima

Rima Active Member

Why not just get the Sylvania Gro-Lux full spectrum 30-40w bulbs - no heat, no problem, and you should keep your tree within 6" of them.

6. ancameni

ancameni Member

Where do i find them? I live in Kansas and those Agrolite were the first "Grow" lights that i found.

7. PhillyPalms

Aren't those 30 or 40w fluorescent tubes ?

They are cetainly cooler to the touch, compared to incandescent bulbs. But they involve a fixture in your living room.

8. jamkh

jamkh Active Member

And Philly, don't forget you need a transformer ballast as well.

9. PhillyPalms

Yeh, I used to use a Home Depot, ten dollar fluorescent fixture, with two 40 watt agro-lite tubes, which has the ballast built in.

Now, i'm using a 400 watt Halide, and a 400 watt sodium. Both have seperate ballasts.
    Not pretty, but gets the job done. Plus my S.A.D (Seasonal Affective Disorder) is under control now.

10. jamkh

jamkh Active Member

Quote: "Now, i'm using a 400 watt Halide, and a 400 watt sodium. Both have seperate ballasts."
    For optimum lighting conditions nothing beats the HID sytem. With a combination of metal halide and high pressure sodium lighting, you practically have created summer the whole year round inside your home, though this is counterproductive to plants requiring dormancy. Philly, I envy you. Your S.A.D. refers to plants or you.

11. PhillyPalms

I have the S.A.D. :D
    I only run the lights from late November to mid-April though. then everything goes back outside. I will say there's nothing like the smell of flowering mandarins. I hand pollenate them with a tiny brush, then in April they go outside loaded with fruit. Yes, it cost about an extra 30 or 40 dollars per month for the electric, but it is so worth it. I know a lot of other hobbies costing a lot more.