Identification: Bug ID - possibly young horse chestnut scale?

Discussion in 'Maples' started by maf, Apr 8, 2022.

1. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I was out looking at the breaking buds and emerging foliage today and was squishing a few aphids, as you do, when I noticed these different coloured ones that required more force and exhibited a much crunchier type of squishiness. At first I thought they were a type of hard shelled or armoured aphid, but I am wondering if they are the younger (as in pre-egg laying) stage of horse chestnut scale (Pulvinaria regalis) that have overwintered? Possibly the females. Difficult to find pictures of the early spring stage online so thought I would ask here... pictures below...

bugs 1.jpg bugs 2.jpg bugs 3.jpg

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good evening M. I have to say it looks like scale insect to me. There are so many types, but unsure if it is horse chestnut.

maf likes this.
  3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, I thought it looked like scale too. It was hard to see in real life but when photographed and enlarged it was easier to see. The horse chestnut scale is well established in my area, and is very unsightly on the maples in May/June time, but I think does little damage. They are big on the conker trees in parks and roadsides too. I have never seen any other types of scale on the maples here but that is not to say they don't exist, just that I am not familiar with them and don't know what to look for. I hope someone viewing this thread has more knowledge on what to look for...

It was quite windy today - I might be able to get some better pics at a later time