Where to source metal signs? -- Plant blindness Mapping Project

Discussion in 'Celebrate Biodiversity' started by rithikha, Jun 3, 2021.

1. rithikha

rithikha New Member

Hi All,

I'm working on a project this summer where I'll need to install metal signs on public facing properties (front yards, streets, parks, etc) with info about a plant's cultural and ecological significance. Also hoping to include a QR code that connects to an augmented reality component to translate the physical sign into a shareable digital art piece with similar info.

So far I've only found this place in the States which looks great, but is expensive: Display Markers - Lark Label

Does anyone have local recommendations for outdoor plant signage? Funding would cover ~$800 and we're hoping to get about 50 - 75 signs up (6"x4" dimensions).

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Look for local businesses who do laser engraving. They can get anodized aluminum sheets relatively inexpensively--so as long as you can properly supply the artwork, you might be able to get it under that dollar figure.

rithikha likes this.
  3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Hello - i don’t understand the term « plant blindness »

Being in a family with someone legally blind, your project interests me

I have been to various gardens (private and public) with this person and it’s an interesting and illuminating special experience - very sensorial (ie more than just visual sense)

——

I agree with previous answer because - it’s amazing what signmaker places can create

There is that museum and other type of design place that contracts signage for fancy tourist wineries in Okanagan (a name like Aldrich pears)

But maybe you are doing a more neighbor friendly project and with a gentle budget - so ask your neighbourhood copy and sign place first.

Looking forward to learning more

rithikha likes this.
  4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Georgia Strait and rithikha like this.
  5. rithikha

rithikha New Member

right on, I was about to link to the same article haha. @Georgia Strait Thanks for sharing, so different kind of blindness but you bring up a really good point on inclusivity. I've been thinking about this for the signs and the best I can come up with right now is including a braille component. I'm a cartographer by training so I was also thinking of creating a audio-based web map "tour" of all the signs. Would welcome any other suggestions as well!

Georgia Strait likes this.
  6. Georgia Strait

I am curious about sourcing things like signs (I used to do it at work) - so I came across this company - link below - I think in Surrey BC

I would definitely specify rounded (no sharp corners) edges

And brushed metal (no reflection)

Weather resist including UV resist

Mount at a level so that young (shorter) people can read (and those who need a chair or walker)

Font style and size - i would print out and test in the area you’re doing this project

Always have someone proof read before the final production —- yes you could post here and I am sure a typo / spelling will be pointed out kindly

ADA Signs | Permel Custom Signage Vancouver

7. Georgia Strait

One further detail - I assume this factors in today (I haven’t done this type of work in a few yrs and tech changes faster than I do!)

- always aim to design « standard sizes & colors »

This is a simple way to stretch budget

Example - we know that standard North America photocopy paper is 8.5 x 11 in a ream of 500 sheets.

So you decide to make something that is (for example) 275 copies on special order paper of 7x10 inches finished dimension ... so you’re paying extra for the wasted paper PLUS « trim fee « twice

Whereas if you could design for 2-up on a « regularly stocked » 8.5 x 11 paper for a finished size of 5.5 x 4.25 .... no wasted paper and only one trim / chop fee.

Being a cartographer - I am sure you know about getting maps printed etc

Similar concepts apply to picture framing and any dimensions at the builder supply incl kitchen cabinets

Looking fwd to project updates .