Prunus incisa 'Kojo no mai'

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by AlainK, Mar 5, 2021.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Very delicate flowers, but they don't last very long. Rather popular among bonsai growers. Mine is just beginning to flower :

prunus12-knmi01_210305a.jpg

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

These fat buds look very pink for what I'm expecting to be white flowers. I hope you'll post a photo of the open flowers, and a habit photo of the tree. Thanks.

3. AlainK

Thank you for correcting my mistake.

And yes, they display a very pink, even red colour, but when the flowers open, they're usually of a much lighter pink, almost white but not exactly the same each year, I don't know why.

Here are photos from March 2003, March 2018 (x2) and March 2020 :

prunus12-knmi01_130403a.jpg prunus12-knmi01_170318a.jpg prunus12-knmi01_170318b.jpg prunus12-knmi01_200303a.jpg

I'll post photos when all the flowers open, before I repot it because a self-sown Zelkova is taking over in the pot...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2021
  4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Alain, did you mean to say "replant" it? When you said "repot", I was thinking you would not need to repot it to just move it away from the Zelkova. There is another thread where the poster asked about growing cherries in pots, and this was a cultivar that was suggested, so that is why I am checking.

I wonder if the temperature has anything to do with the flower colour, if warm weather encourages the flowers to open before they have lost their deep bud colour. So if they open pink, but then turn white, I hope you will post both phases.

5. AlainK

I mean "repot", for it's been in the same pot for years and it needs to go to the hairdresser's, I mean having some drastic root-pruning, all the more that a Zelkova in the same pot develops 3 or 4 times as quickly as a Prunus of any kind.

I saw that one, the advice given by others were wise enough without my contribution ^_^

The only thing I could add is that potted "cherries", actually most prunus, should be repotted every three years, 4 years being the limit if you want to keep the tree healthy.

About the colours : I can't say about Prunus flowers, but a spell of very low temperatures seem to give the bark of most maples a more reddish colour, there must be some kind of chemical process that may have an equivalent with flowers or new leaves, I really don't know.

From what I have gathered so far, very cold winter, or very cold spell in winter :

- Maple bark : more vivid colours
    - Prunus flowers : ?