Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning @Atapi, page 40 wow! Yes hopefully a lot more to share ???. Re your AJ Itaya, I'm not so sure it is that one tbh. It is a lovely Japonicum though with great Autumn colours as your last photo shows. Bit more research needed I think.

2. Acerholic

Good morning @ROEBUK, Baldsmith ??

ROEBUK likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Hi everyone, there were some comments yesterday about variegated maples. So how about some photos of these today?? I bet there are some lovely ones out there in your collections, especially unnamed seedlings.

4. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

No No No !!! getting colder :) :) will post some more pics later.

5. Acerholic

Such a tease ROEBUK. Lol !!!

6. Del

Del Well-Known Member Maple Society

First I would like to introduce myself, I’ve been lurking for some time but finally decided to say hello.
    I’ve been collecting maples for about 35 years, my son started my interest by buying me a Deshojo bonsai,
    but I preferred having the larger specimens rather than bonsai. I live in Bedford.
    I’ve currently got approaching 200 varieties, but I’m also very keen to progress into grafting, which I’ve had some minor success with over the years.
    I hope that the pictures I have taken are uploaded correctly.
    The first is Orangeola, probably the best its ever been this spring.
    Next is Bloodgood, Black Lace, Pung Kil over the top of Red Pygmy
    Pung Kil is darker with thinner lobes than Red Pygmy.
    Next is Jerre Schwartz, again probably the best it’s ever been.
    Then its Trompenberg and lastly Starfish.
    I’ve uploaded the purple ones for your ‘darkest’ comparisons.

Derek

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

Four of my variegated maples, :- Ukigumo, Butterfly, Manyo no sato and my wife's favourite, Acer palmatum 'Orido Nishiki'. It is in fact her favourite and as she says, "its the best of all our maples in our garden". And she's always, always right. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples, Cjart, ROEBUK and 3 others like this.
  8. Acerholic

Hi @ROEBUK , Goshiki Shidare ?????

9. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

not absolutely sure but I don’t think your far off in my opinion, particularly if the leaves are colossal..larger than your hand when out fully

10. Acerholic

Good morning @dicky5ash, agree with your comments, I was just wondering if it's a seedling from Itaya. So difficult when a tag is lost.

dicky5ash likes this.
  11. Acerholic

To those of us on this forum in England who are carefully watching the forecast for this Sunday. I was just reading a verse from 1750. It said, "Cast not a clout till May be out" the meaning even then was do not trust the english weather until June. They have a point !!!!!

12. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

I guess it will be telling if it’s been grafted..it is difficult, I have lots that either didn’t come with tags (typically end of season bargains) or they have disappeared

13. Acerholic

Hi @dicky5ash, first of all , hope your enjoying this sunshine in Northampton as much as we are here. Yes it is difficult, I remember Charlie from Amazing Maples saying in one of his YouTube postings that he has given up trying to ID maples if they have lost their name tags.
    There are thousands out there not including all of our seedlings that are so very similar to others.
    At the end of the day @Atapi has a lovely healthy tree no matter what it's called. I loved his Autumn photo, it was on fire.

dicky5ash likes this.
  14. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Agreed, weather is getting a bit strange now. Temp in VA will go down to the mid 30F the next two nights (Fri & Sat). At least most of the trees have fully opened their buds so I hope we will be OK. I feel for Roebuk.

15. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Don't really have many variegated maples but here are the few i have , put one or two fall pics in as well because some do look pretty in the Autumn months as well . Reticulates tomorrow ?? First three pics are the new " ijoshi" cultivar which looks ok at present,seem to have found a spot it likes,the leaf size is certainly picking up growth. Goshiki shidare good guess but still no. Will tell you tomorrow, you have it?

Attached Files:

sun, LoverOfMaples, AlainK and 6 others like this.
  16. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Some good light this morning...and variegations

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples, AlainK, ROEBUK and 4 others like this.
  17. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

Beautiful @dangerine49, you have a definite talent for taking these photos, absolutely loving them.

19. Acerholic

It's a good varigation day. Wonderful collection @ROEBUK. Please put me out of my misery, what is it. Norah Batty wouldn't have treated Compo that badly lol, Last guess then 'Brocade ' ????? Reticulated tomorrow, 'excellent idea' ROEBUK.
    Btw did you see my earlier posting from a verse from 1750. Was thinking about you in Yorkshire at the time of writing.

ROEBUK likes this.
  20. Acerholic

Hi @dangerine49, my wife asks, "what camera are you using"? Some of your shots are just amazing. Reticulated tomorrow suggested by @ROEBUK, looking forward to it already in anticipation.

21. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Thanks for the kudos! I come from a family of amateur photographers (actually my wife's uncle is a professional) and I have a bunch of film and digital cameras that I almost never use anymore. All the pics I've posted here were taken with a Samsung Galaxy 7 phone.

22. Acerholic

Hi @dangerine49, ah that is a good phone camera, but the talent that obviously has rubbed off on you from your family does shine through.
    Look forward to more from you on cheering ourselves up.

23. zfrittz

zfrittz Rising Contributor

my baby ghost

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

Hi @zfrittz, yours is so far more advanced than mine. Summer colour already in Andalucia. I've only just purchased my Baby Ghost and looking at yours I'm excited at how it will turn out. Really enjoyed that photo. Thanks zfrittz.

25. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

The Soonermobile (Fedex) just showed up with the Moonfire. Nice!!

Attached Files: