Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

This thread goes so fast I can't keep up! Amazing and great to see here on UBC.

Too early for tar spot @Atapi (happily enough)but it could be another fungus. Or even just physical damage from hail, if you've had some.

Re: Wedding Cake Trees and Pagoda Dogwoods, I think jaybee had it right: Wedding Cake Tree = Cornus controversa 'Variegata'; Pagoda Dogwood is one of the Cornus alternifolia, the variegated Pagoda Dogwood is C. alternifolia 'Argentea'. They are similar, except the Pagoda has smaller leaves, is more delicate, and is much slower growing. It is also rumored to be a difficult tree to grow, but my experience is the opposite: bunged it in the ground, it has always been trouble free. I'll get a picture of it soon. If the tree is to get a lot of sun, I'd definitely stick with the Wedding Cake Tree. They both take a long time to make a real statement, though.

Here are some more pictures. I can't remember any more if I've already posted some of these, I did skip a lot. These start back on 29/4:

A. x orientala 'Minorient', one of the more interesting introductions of recent years.
    A. macrophyllum, doesn't like the wind or soil here, I have a larger one but trying a new seedling
    'Asahi zuru'
    Kalopanax pictus, of interest to maple scholars because it was originally ID'd as a maple!
    A. rufinerve 'Sunshine'
    Dipteronia sinensis or Acer dielsii, the jury is still out, but at least a very close cousin to maples (if not a maple).
    A. pseudoplatanus 'Simon Louis Frères', pretty much the last sycamore to leaf out
    A. monspessulanum red samaras
    'Beni tsukasa' x 2
    'Orange Dream' and rhodies. As OD gets big, they get much more yellow and less orange.
    C. x 'Stellar Pink' and accent plant in the Aceretum, looking nice now although a difficult plant for me. C. florida x kousa.
    Acer pubipalmatum (not to be confused with A. pauciflorum, in spite of FOC)
    A. crataegifolium, the Hawthorn Leaf Maple
    'Butterfly' x 2. The "true" cultivar always comes out with pink borders, I am told! For sure there are a lot of different ones out there, very dilute cultivar.
    A. campestre 'Pulverentulum' now in full leaf.
    A. sikkimense, a collection that is always very late, just coming out now. The leaf undersides are a magnificent purple, I'll try to get a pic later. Not really established here yet.
    Finally 2 x Acer carpinifolium, the Hornbeam maple. Blooming, but I have a male here. Have recently planted another, hoping it may be female!

That gets me halfway through yesterday! And all I have time for. By the time I get back here the thread will probably have 3 more pages! :)

-E

Attached Files:

zfrittz, dicky5ash, AlainK and 2 others like this.
  2. Atapi

Atapi Well-Known Member

Hi Emery,
    Thank you for your response. I always enjoy your collection with such a variety of different maples not just Acer Palmatum like I have. Never the true Butterfly looks so cool like this.
    Yes, it doesn't look like tar spot but it was like a little black dot all around the leaf. I will try to spray another fungus treat to see but it may be too late now may be just wait to collect the dead leaves, hopefully the tree will be OK.
    About the Wedding cake vs Pagoda tree, my spot is full sun esp. strong in the afternoon (front of the house) so I may be going with one Jaybe has but I like both.

emery likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning, thought I would add some different greens today, haven't posted these before, they are so often overlooked in Spring, but just wait until October when they set the garden ablaze!! :- Felice, Acontifolium, Ayogi, Fairy lights, Villa Taranto, Wakehurst pink, Ornatum and for @Luke's Maples, Shigitatsu Sawa.

Attached Files:

4. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Gorgeous.. thanks Acerholic

5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

This is what I see when I get back from the local supermarket and park my car outside because the basement garage is full of ... "useful" stuff. Between a Prunus (probably pissardii) and a Tamarix, Acer shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon', A. p. 'Rainbow' and 'Emerald Lace' :

jardin_200505b.jpg

6. Acerholic

And don't they have a lot of dappled shade, 'perfect'. The lime green of Autumn moon really stands out. That's the beauty of Green!! Thanks AlainK.

7. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Here we go with some Ariadne, Autumn Moon, Tsuma Gaki, Kagiri Nishiki, Peaches & Cream, Butterfly and Salvia/Harry/Garnet.

Attached Files:

zfrittz, Atapi, LoverOfMaples and 4 others like this.
  8. Acerholic

Hi @dangerine49, beautiful !! I especially love 'Ariadne'. Wish we could do 2 likes, one for the maples and one for Harry.
    Looks a lovely day in Long Island amongst the maples. Thanks for cheering and warming our day here in England.

dangerine49 likes this.
  9. AlainK

Gorgeous.

I particularly like the 'Dogus cutensis' in the last photo.

dangerine49 likes this.
  10. Acerholic

Like your Latin AlainK !!!

11. AlainK

Excuse my French... ;0)

An 'Orange Dream' bonsai that tends to be 'Orange Yellow', maybe because of the very hard water we have here, but in the past week, it's only been watered by the rain. It's an airlayer :

acerp_orangedream01_200505a.jpg

Atapi, Cjart, zfrittz and 4 others like this.
  12. Acerholic

Again, the beauty of green!! Even though it's called Orange Dream, IMO it's one of the loveliest of greens in the Summer. Thanks AlainK.

13. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Random rainbow leaves on Aconitifolium, no colour filters added obviously!(any suggestions?) x2
    Reticulatum x3
    Ukigumo large
    Baldmith
    Small ukigumo
    AZ
    Wilson Pink dwarf
    Moonrise colouring up
    Dissectum red and green

Attached Files:

Atapi, zfrittz, LoverOfMaples and 3 others like this.
  14. AlainK

This is the "Mother tree". It needs repotting, the colour of the pot is an ugly pale blue (but it was cheap) and the pot is now too small :

Attached Files:

dicky5ash likes this.
  15. Acerholic

Hi @dicky5ash wonderful photos, re your Aconitifolium, mine does that if not enough sunlight on the leaves. Just a thought, maybe move it to more sun !!?

dicky5ash likes this.
  16. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Fabulous colour...tree! Pots not that bad at lest it’s made of clay. You bonsai lot are particular about the colour of your pot

17. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Acerholic here is my Wakehurst looking very colourful this year,with nice leaf shape as well a very underrated tree this one, have to dash off now spent this morning doing all my hanging baskets,troughs tubs etc etc placing all round the garden,just watched the local weather forecast and we are having a frost this evening, , so back in they come !!! maples sorry but you are going to have to lump it , sick to the back teeth with this weather now gone past been funny. Also added a picture of something you have, and posted recently ?

Attached Files:

Atapi, zfrittz, LoverOfMaples and 4 others like this.
  18. emery

Ah things are heating up on the Island, and Harry is taking notice!

Before getting back to the regularly scheduled tour, here are a few of 'Hogyoku' (translation A Jewel) in the soft rain today. A lovely green maple in spring and summer with orange fall color. This one has verticillium wilt but I've managed it, and it has come back well. Hoping the next attack is a few years off!

Attached Files:

19. Acerholic

Hi @ROEBUK, enjoyed those and yes have you also seen the forecast for next Monday, what the heck is going on with this weather????
    "My fingers are crossed for you tonight". Btw, looks like Orangeola to me.

20. Acerholic

Hi @emery, the size of that Jewel, what are you feeding your trees, lol.
    I don't have that one myself but have seen photos of it in the Autumn and once again it shows that JM greens do 'not' disappoint. It's been a great green day today. And the day is not over yet!!!!

21. emery

Joking aside, it's very important not to feed a maple with verticillium, except in the initial recovery after cutting; and then only a light nitrogen algae-based (nothing urea based) just to encourage. In truth I don't feed much, just a little osmocote in pots, and if I remember, some algae powder for poorly established maples.

Here are some more from yesterday and the day before:

A. caesium, it does look blue later, but early leaves are pretty plain.
    A. x amplum 'Ample Surprise', another interesting new introduction
    2 x the marvelous 'Dentelle de Binche', yes I posted it before, but really coming into its own and growing so enthusiastically.
    2 x the Delicate Maple, A. tenellum. Not often seen, but a pretty plant.
    A. buergerianum 'Naruto', a strange plant that looks better from a distance!
    A. tataricum ssp aidzuense
    A. maximowiczianum
    A. capillipes, from wild collected seed
    A. cissifolium, also from wild collected seed
    A. longipes var weixiense
    A. schneiderianum, on of the last to leaf out from section Palmata
    A. negundo 'Winter Flame'
    3 x A. buergerianum 'Goshiki kaede'
    2 x A. capillipes 'Golden Increase'
    And finally a new little graft for me, A. shirasawanum 'Nikko'

Attached Files:

22. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

It's not easy being green...

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

Hi @dangerine49, but so many shades of. You have done it quite easily. Lovely.

24. Acerholic

Good morning everyone, so what about reds? I was wondering, what is the very darkest red JM ? I'm sure there are many choices out there in your collections, but which ONE would fit the bill for the darkest . As this forum is world wide, the different climates etc will produce a very dark red somewhere. Anyway this one from my garden in southern England is my contribution for the darkest red JM. It's 'Musashino', hope you like it and hoping to see the 'ONE' darkest red from you?

Attached Files:

dangerine49 and zfrittz like this.
  25. Acerholic

I've just photographed this one that competes in my garden for the darkest red. Iijima sunago. It did make me smile as the leaf is bigger than the tree, lol.

Attached Files:

dangerine49, Cjart and Atapi like this.