Burnaby

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by Mayling Chang, Mar 16, 2008.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Two 'Whitcomb' pretty much in bloom at the Burnaby Art Gallery at Deer Lake. It's a very nice setting for them.

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

I decided to ride the rails this afternoon and get the photo I've been begging for, of the 'Whitcomb' trees at the 22nd St Skytrain Station. My so-called friends have been mentioning them for a couple of years now, and they're on the map, but no photos have been posted. So here they are. The first photo is from inside the train, just included to give an idea of the setting. There are two trees together and one other, just to the west of the south side of the station. [Edited by wcutler 2012mar24] I just found out that the 22nd St Station is New West - no wonder I haven't been able to find the photos. My friend did post them there!] I'm leaving these in this posting, will copy them to New West. .
    20120321_22ndStStn_Whitcomb_Cutler_P1190247.jpg 20120321_22ndStStn_Whitcomb_Cutler_P1190252.jpg 20120321_22ndStStn_Whitcomb_Cutler_P1190258.jpg 20120321_22ndStStn_Whitcomb_Cutler_P1190263.jpg

I'm sure these are the two 'Whitcomb' lisali posted, on Royal Oak, near Victory, just south of the Royal Oak Skytrain Station.
    20120321_RoyalOakVictory_Whitcomb_Cutler_P1190266.jpg 20120321_RoyalOakVictory_Whitcomb_Cutler_P1190267.jpg

But look at this, right around the corner, on Victory, east from Royal Oak. A whole block with eight 'Whitcomb', seven 'Accolade' (in two groups: four at the east end and three at the other end), and I think a few 'Akebono' in the mix as well. They're young, nice-looking trees. Here are the 'Whitcomb'.
    20120321_VictoryRoyalOak_Whitcomb_Cutler_P1190270.jpg 20120321_VictoryRoyalOak_Whitcomb_Cutler_P1190273.jpg 20120321_VictoryRoyalOak_Whitcomb_Cutler_P1190287.jpg

And the 'Accolade', not yet in bloom, but included just so I can get them on the map. In another week or so, you might be able to see both cultivars in bloom.
    20120321_VictoryRoyalOak_Accolade_Cutler_P1190277.jpg 20120321_VictoryRoyalOak_Accolade_Cutler_P1190279.jpg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  3. lisali

lisali Member

nice!

4. wcutler

I saw these two trees in bloom in 2008; it's taken me four years to get photos of them. I finally drove quite a bit out of my way to get these. They didn't need me on time at that rehearsal anyway.

Two 'Whitcomb' on the east side of Nelson, the block south of Imperial, visible from the Skytrain. This area of Nelson has a lot of 'Akebono' nowhere near open yet.

I drove past several trees that I think are 'Whitcomb' just south of Kingsway, I think at Patterson, in an apartment garden.

Attached Files:

5. seonghye

seonghye Member

I went to some station, and i could see these tree!
    It will be 100% blossom

patterson ave
    20120327_patterson_whitcomb_seonghye.jpg

Also, i took a picture of cherry blossom!
    It's 16 st and 18 ave.
    20120325_16st18ave_seonghye_IMG_4916.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2012
  6. wcutler

Deborah Jones sent along this photo taken last Sunday of the 'Whitcomb' cherries between the Shadbolt Centre and the Burnaby Art Gallery.

Attached Files:

7. lisali

lisali Member

I am busy this week to move in a new apartment. I took some cherry picturies around my community in South of Burnaby
    These cherries are blooming at Edmonds Skytrain Station, close to BChydro buliding
    image_2.jpg

image_4.jpg

These cherries are blooming at Station Hill Dr,also close to Edmonds Staiton

3.jpg

image (2).jpg

and I also found a white one which is bigger and older than others, it is at Edmonds street & salisbury ave
    white.jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  8. seonghye

seonghye Member

it was taken at 18 ave between leeside st. and 16 st. this afternoon

there are two big cherry blossoms :-D

20120413_18ave16st_seonghye_IMG_5490.jpg

20120413_18ave16st_seonghye_IMG_5489.jpg

20120413_18ave16st_seonghye_IMG_5488.jpg

9. emikat

emikat Member

Shirofugen is in bloom in front of Academic Quadrangle building, SFU, totalling 17 trees. I took pictures at 2 pm this afternoon. As it was windy there, flowers might not stay longer, so any cherry flower lovers should be hurry up to see the last glory of spring this weekend.

Attached Files:

10. emikat

emikat Member

Next to Shirofugen trees in SFU, there were 3 Pink Perfection at the corner; however, they began to fade and fall down. These trees look not healthy. Fortunately, 17 Pink Perfection trees have been planted, about 50 ft away from Shirofugen grove eastward.
    [Edited by wcutler 2016apr12] The 17 trees were photographed in April 2016, seem to be 'Kanzan'.
    Burnaby

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2016
  11. wcutler

A 'Pink Perfection' grove?? I can't wait to see it next year.

12. Anne Eng

Anne Eng Generous Contributor 10 Years

Okame in full bloom at 6074 Charles Street, west of Fell on March 29, 2013. Interesting graft bottom on what appears to be an old-timer. First sighting of Okame in Burnaby.

Attached Files:

13. Anne Eng

Snofozam in bloom at East Court and Eastlawn Drive on March 29, 2013. Right across from a Beni-shidare, also in bloom (next post)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  14. Anne Eng

Beni-shidare flowering at East Court and Eastlawn Drive on March 29, 2013, right across from a blooming Snofozam (see previous post).

Attached Files:

15. Anne Eng

Accolade in private front yard finishing its bloom on west side of Dunlop, north of Charles on March 29, 2013.

Attached Files:

16. wcutler

Such a large tree, and it doesn't even look sick, or were you just very careful with your photos?

And what else is happening on that block - is that three 'Akebono' not yet in bloom just down from the 'Okame', between Fell and Stratford?

That's a new area for our map.

17. Anne Eng

The Okame looked well all around; I wondered if that low grafting helped. There is another cherry right next to it, even larger but just setting buds. The Akebonos down the street are also just in bud.

18. yaletowner

yaletowner Active Member 10 Years

These were in full bloom last Saturday March 23, 2013.

Attached Files:

19. yaletowner

yaletowner Active Member 10 Years

Central Park

Just a block north of Central Park up from the Patterson Skytrain station is this street with an impressive display of Akebono blossoms that seems to be much appreciated by those living or working nearby.

Attached Files:

20. wcutler

Keiko Parker wrote to the festival asking us to add to our map the five rows of 'Akebono' trees in park-like landscaping outside apartments or condominiums in the 4300 block of Buchanan, at Rosser. She doesn't want to be a cherry scout, doesn't want to learn to post, and they're too good to not tell you about, so here are the photos she sent. I've added the location to the map.
    20130402_4300Buchanan_Akebono_KeikoParker_IMG_2187r.JPG 20130402_4300Buchanan_Akebono_KeikoParker_IMG_2191r.JPG 20130402_4300Buchanan_Akebono_KeikoParker_IMG_2201r.JPG

I found these on google street view and asked her if they were the ones (actually, it's clearer in Satellite view). She replied
    Keiko also notes that there is a 4-block length of cherry blossoms on both sides of Georgia Street from Gilmore to Willingdon.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  21. wcutler

This is a posting of photos for the map. Almost a week ago, April 1, I was driving to a meeting in Burnaby, somewhat late. On my route were 'Akebono' at on 17th Avenue at 18th St (I saw them as I drove past, went around the corner to get the photo); then west side of Griffiths just north of Kingsway.
    20130401_17thAve18thSt_Akebono_Cutler_P1410638.jpg 20130401_GriffithsKingsway_Akebono_Cutler_P1410640.JPG

The next is on Walker, south of Imperial, several 'Akebono' on one side of the street. About two blocks further south at McBride St, seem to be two more 'Akebono', according to Google street view, or maybe those are the trees in the background. And last, on Stanley at Leibly.
    20130401_WalkerImperial_Akebono_Cutler_P1410643.jpg 20130401_StanleyLeibly_Akebono_Cutler_P1410646.jpg

22. jkolba

jkolba New Member

There are two pendula cherries in bloom on the grounds of the Nikkei Heritage Centre on Southoaks Crescent, near Kingsway.

Attached Files:

23. jkolba

jkolba New Member

Several dozen Akebono in bloom along Southoaks Crescent in Burnaby.

Attached Files:

24. wcutler

Darcy Olson entered to our map this nice 'Yae-beni-shidare' in a front yard on the south side of Brentlawn between Beta and Delta Aves.

25. wcutler

Catherine Baker is visiting grandchildren in Burnaby and sent along these photos to the festival, 'Akebono' on Sussex north for two blocks from Shepherd.

Attached Files: