Identification: Help me with mushroom ID please.

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by shavedhead, Sep 21, 2012.

1. shavedhead

shavedhead Member

Could you help me with this mushroom identification. Are they edible?
    I found them yesterday in the forest that not so far from Pickering.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

What were they growing on?

3. shavedhead

shavedhead Member

pine forest. At the same place I found brown cap boletus and boletus luteus (not sure how these mushrooms named in Canada)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Boletus. I would not hesitate to eat them.

5. shavedhead

shavedhead Member

I thought about Boletus. We have them in Russia a lot, I just was not sure about the head colour. It's... too orange I thought. I know that its another continent and different variations are possible. but I've never seen before such bright colour, and the smell was not so reach like the same russians mushrooms. Thank you very much!!!

6. Sundrop

7. shavedhead

shavedhead Member

Great! Thank you!))

8. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

I agree - safe to eat (the ones in the picture at least).

9. Sundrop

Hi shavedhead,

To answer your question ("When they say Orange-Capped Leccinum, do they mean exactly Orange-Capped PORCINI or all orange cup boletus?").
    I am sure than by saying Orange-Capped Leccinum they (http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293998) mean Orange-Capped Leccinum, not Orange-Capped Porcini and not all orange cup boletus.
    Leccinum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leccinum) is a genus in the family Boletaceae.
    Boletus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boletus) is another genus in the Boletaceae.
    I believe you call porcini Boletus edulis.
    They also say, however: But since Leccinum species are notoriously difficult to separate, even for experts, you should avoid any orange-capped species. If you are not sure you can distinguish Leccinum species from other boletes, you should change this rule and not eat any boletes with orange or orangeish caps.

Sorry, but as a general rule I don't answer private messages privately.

10. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

The specimens pictured look like Boletus edulis or one of its eastern North America relatives. They do not look like Leccinum, but the photos are not clear enough to say for certain. Look for netting on the stalk to verify that they are Boletus. The scabers of Leccinum are quite different.

11. Joel Bolete

Joel Bolete Active Member

The image I had almost a perfect clarity that this was a, Porcini. King Bolete, Orange Bolete. one of the three. All are edible. and quite good.

The Porcini is the one I found to be the most complelling because you said Pine forest.