Japanese Maple Collection Super Gardens

Discussion in 'Maples' started by boloxis, Sep 16, 2009.

1. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

It is a ton of work to keep them so tight. In spring my pruners are cutting away like a weedeatter. I have a giant puzzle, I spend hours moving trees around to fit them next to each other. Color, leaf type, shape and size determine where they go along with their sun exposure. Right now I have vertually all of the trees I can handle, there might be 5 or 6 places where the irrigation is in place but they are down a step hill which I hope to plant in the next year.

2. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Member

I'm interested to know exactly where you are located. I would be interested in visiting. We have a collection, that was begun about 50 years ago. Many of our trees we grafted.

I've only permitted one viewing over the past 7 years, but I'm wondering if you've been here previous to that.

KlaHaYa Gardens

3. amazingmaples

I am located 30 miles north of Seattle in Everett, WA. I am a newbie to all of this so I doubt I have visited your place.

Visitors are welecome to my place with an appointment time. I have had people as far away as Virginia come to my place. It is always nice to talk with people about the trees, I learn a great amount from other collectors.

As for your place, I would love to see it. I got my start in this from a japanese garden in south Everett which was to be developed. They sold off hundreds of japanese maple trees which they had grafted decades ago. I have attached a link to photos of that garden.

http://doolang.com/garden/

4. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Member

Do you happen to know if that belonged to the Van Winkles? Looks familiar to me.

I am not ready to have visitors at this time. When I am ready, I will have a spring and a fall leave viewing tour limited to 25 individuals by invitation. I will remember you when the time comes.

I am fortunate with the beautiful trees I have. Mine is a young garden by Eastern standards; it hasn't even reached toddler age of 100 years, but by Western standards, I have a mature garden and landscaping that is our family legacy. Someday, perhaps, it will be a public garden.

Meanwhile, I will keep an eye out for trees we can add to the landscaping. When we had our nursery, we had the largest selection of Japanese maples in the state. I imagine, with availability and new varieties, that is no longer -- not that we operate a nursery anymore.

I enjoyed the pictures of your maples. I encourage you to PLANT them. ;)

Warmly,
    KlaHaYa Gardens

5. amazingmaples

The garden I posted was owned by a family with a different name. If you know everett/mill creek area is was by the buffalo farms.

My garden has very few trees planted, most of them will end up in someone elses collection. I have a few 40 year old and a 70 y/o weeper but most of my trees are much newer. I am not sure how many different types of japanese maples there are. Someplace over 300, Knowing that is not so important since trees are always coming and going. I would say that maybe 60 of my current count of 800 trees are planted and the rest are in pots. I really can not see having many more different varieties since there are only so many I really like, the rest are just ho hum trees, duplicated or just a little to weird/ugly for my taste.

I know Frank Byles down in Olympia has large number of different varieties of japanese maples. I had heard it is over 600 different types.

6. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Member

Yes, I know where the bison used to be.

I think it is more important to graft select maples for unique and pleasing characteristics. The number of variety is not the goal. Appreciating the beauty and the uniqueness is.

7. amazingmaples