Pruning a Ceanothus

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by FoxyCanuck, Jul 25, 2016.

1. FoxyCanuck

FoxyCanuck Member

Can anyone direct us on how to prune a straggly Ceanothus. It's crooked and doesn't look filled in like the other ones I've seen. We just moved in a year ago and I don't think the previous owners took care of it. Help!

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Keke

Keke Active Member 10 Years

Well, I can see a couple of possible issues right away from the picture. First, how much sun does it get? Ceanothus will be fuller in full sun -- think of every photon as adding a leaf! And how much water in what kind of soil? In the picture it's sitting next to a larger-leafed rhodo. Ceanothus likes sun, heat and dry, and very good drainage, while rhodos are okay with sun, but dislike heat and dry because of their surface roots, and prefer a humus-y, more organic soil. Ceanothus can also be more easily winter-killed if they are in a "cold pocket" or in a very exposed location in a bad winter.

Pruning might not improve the situation if it's not in an optimal location. In fact, if it's truly in a bad location, hard pruning might do it more harm than good. In the right location, Ceanothus requires very little care -- all you ought to have to do is to cut off any winterkilled branch tips every spring, and maybe shape it to fit a space. Maybe that's why local builders seem to throw it into new gardens just about anywhere and hope it does all right.

Hope that helps!
    keke

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    yes, in my experience, KeKe is correct - full sun, and basically, let it be. This plant is ideal near the ocean here in the Pac NW. Usually they are mass-planted in garden design.

Generally speaking, as a non-professional gardener, I for sure would not choose to put it where a rhodo does well (not that you did, however, someone did in the past) - as Keke has already pointed out - somewhat different requirements for rhodo vs ceanothus .

I wonder - and I hope someone else here chimes in - properly prune a bit on the hidden side of your ceanothus and see what happens - then decide accordingly

... and, I would be concerned about digging it out at this size in order to move it - ie by digging at it to move it with enough root ball, you could end up disturbing the roots of the rhodo next to it - that rhodo is looking good in the photo, so don't disturb it and its roots - which are shallow and go out to and beyond the dripline.