best everbearing raspberry

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by englak, Mar 24, 2010.

1. englak

englak Active Member 10 Years

Hello,

What's the best everbearing raspberry for Vancouver. I'm looking for something problem free and TASTY to give me fruit before Tulameen var. starts making berries.

Thanks.

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

The best everbearing raspberry that I've found is Caroline. However, I don't know if it is earlier than Tulameen, since everbearers are bred for a good late crop. I cut off all of the canes on my everbearing plants after they finish producing in the Fall; so I don't get an early crop. Caroline has large, tasty berries and is very productive.

3. Dunc

Dunc Active Member

The Qualicum is a nice productive plant, especially if you cut last years crop at about 2". It suits our climate well, ergo the name. We get a very generous crop into late October.
    The Tulameen is a better tasting and bigger berry but, we grow it as a one year crop and cut it down to the base each year. Although we have a bit acidic soil, try to add peat moss or sawdust to raise the acidc level.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I sent an email to Hugh Daubeny, former raspberry breeder (he's the one who developed 'Tulameen', among many other local cultivars) with Agriculture Canada (and now a UBC Friend of the Garden). Here's his response:

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

And a follow-up, when I pointed out to Hugh that I think you were asking for something fruiting before 'Tulameen'. His response:

6. englak

englak Active Member 10 Years

Wow, that's a terrific answer Daniel. Many thanks.

7. tallclover

tallclover Member

8. scarleta

scarleta Member

Great recommendations here.I want to start growing Raspberries and now it seems that I found the info.
    Would Tulameen and Autum Bliss work if planted now?
    Anyone has done it? any tips please....
    Also can anyone let me know where to get them? I wish to plant soon rather than spring time.Maybe someone here can chip in or if y are dividing yours maybe I can offer y some other plants? Not sure if this is the right forum for that? Thanks