Zelkova serrata propagation

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Douglas Justice, May 26, 2003.

1. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

This message came via email:

My wife and I have a Zelkova serrata which we would like to propagate. Research indicates this is best done from seed, root cuttings or grafting.

Our tree has not flowered as yet, so seeds are out of the question, as is grafting and I'm not sure how to positively identify its roots.
    Any chance cuttings would root successfully? (and please don't say 'why would you want to')
    Thanks...

2. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

There are numerous references to the propagation of Zelkova by stem cuttings, but little evidence that it is widely used.

According to the Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation by Michael Dirr and Charles Heuser (Varsity Press, 1987), July cuttings (with the terminal buds already formed), rooted approximately 50% using perlite:peat (2:1) mix and 1.6% IBA qiuick dip. Unfortunately, none of the rooted cuttings overwintered successfully in this experiment or in others the senior author mentions.

In a more recent work (the Manual of Woody Landscape Plants, revised edition, Stipes Publishing, 1998), Dirr notes much better success in rooting (at 1000 ppm IBA); however, he does not mention the issue of ultimate survival of the rooted cuttings. We can probably assume that the survival problem has been overcome. He does explain that cuttings from seedlings are more easily rooted than cuttings from established trees.

I can find no information on propagation by root cuttings.