Propagation: Zamioculcas zamiifolias - how to propagate?

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by GlennR, Apr 26, 2020.

1. GlennR

GlennR New Member

So glad that I found [a previous] discussion on this plant. We have a ZZ which was needing some attention after being in the original container for probably 7 years. It was given to us for my father-in-law 's funeral. My wife didn't want me to kill it. So after doing some reading online, I assured her that I could easily and safely divide it and it would be reinvigorated. So, out it came. The roots were packed together with hardly any soil. The roots looked healthy enough, but I really didn't have any tubers like I see in photos. So I divided the main tuber, kept the part I wanted, and replanted it back into the original pot with new cactus soil. Not wanting more than one plant, I gave the other parts away. The past I kept started turning yellow and dying out. One large leaf has now flopped over to the side. It looks healthy enough though. I'd like to use this for propagating. What is the surest method for doing this? I watched some on YouTube and as always, there are conflicting accounts. What do you all recommend?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2020
  2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

There is much more information than you need in this document but it may be worth a read: Care and history of Zamioculcas zamiifolia, ZZ, Zamioculcas, ZZ Plant poisonous, Zee Zee plant, ZeZe plant, incorrectly Zamioculcus,Zamioculcas zamiifolia (Loddiges)Engl., zamioculcas plant, Arum fern, Chinese New Year Festive Plant, Aroid Palm, Zu Zu, Zamioculcas loddigesii.
    Leaf propagation is also described in this blog: Plants are the Strangest People: Stoner (Zamioculcas zamiifolia).

3. GlennR

GlennR New Member

Thank you for recommending these articles. This second one is an easy, informative read.