Yukka and aphids?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by vicarious1, Jul 29, 2012.

1. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Coming from South Africa I was so surprised to see many Yukka growing in Vancouver
    I have collected them from many neigbours who don't like or want them. Many just small pieces of roots etc. Now I have many some with leaves up to 2 feet length..and flowers up to 5-6 feet tall. I adore them BUT
    this year within days they are loaded with nasty black aphids that seem to be brought into the picture by so many ants. Anyway the flowers dont stay long (thinking of a shower of soapy water)? But I just want to know WHY they go up there so hight as it s very ugly . This year also I have noted the flowers were extra big some up to 3inches across. Thanks for any opinion.

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

They're up there because the sap to the flowers is higher in sugars - hence, tastier - than the sap to the leaves.

3. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Thanks LORAX..Just saw the cartoon and Lorax about Thneedville the other day.
    Yes sap etc but hot to get rid of it. This year with all the rain the ants are terrible too many everywhere
    even IN the house what is not usual.