Yucca Tree help!!!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by marcus009, Feb 8, 2007.

1. marcus009

marcus009 Member

2 years ago I purchased a yucca tree that has 2 trunks. The shorter of the 2 trunks is doing fine however I think the taller one has died. The leaves basically fell off and the trunk has some very soft spots from about midway up to the top.
    Has this portion of the tree died, will anything grow back, and should I just remove this portion of the trunk from the pot?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

I'd sever it right at the base, if only to keep the problem (overwatering?) from spreading.

3. yousatonmycactus

yousatonmycactus Active Member

Normally new growth will begin when you prune yucca back. Try lopping off the taller side a couple of inches below the spot where the soft areas are. Make sure the pot is well drained. You should see new leaves begin within a month of pruning back.

4. marcus009

marcus009 Member

When you say lop off the taller side, are you referring to cutting the trunk? And if I do this, will I need to "cap" the top of the trunk with something? It appears the way the trunks are now that there is some type of "cap" on the top of each trunk; I'm not sure if it's a type of tar or resin.

Thanks

5. yousatonmycactus

yousatonmycactus Active Member

I believe that is referred to as "healing over" or scaring, and nothing needs to be applied, although I can't see how a quick sweep across the exposed cut with a ball of cotton would hurt.