Yucca schottii

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by Linda on Denman, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Linda on Denman

Linda on Denman Member

Hi there,

I was wondering if someone could tell me how the Yucca schottii are doing at the UBC Botanical Garden? I saw a 2006 photo of them at Dave's Garden and wonder if they are still in such excellent condition. I grow this yucca on Denman Island and it seems to get a bit of damage each winter. I suspect that I have a less hardy form.

2. VongerV

VongerV Member

I was at the garden yesterday. A family tour was my fathers day request.

As I just built a dry bed the Y. schottii caught my attention big time. Here it is. I found this thread researching the plant and even though this is an old thread the schottii is thriving! It looks beautiful and pretty much untouched from the winter. I would love to have this one.

Attached Files:

3. Linda on Denman

Linda on Denman Member

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a pic VongerV. After this length of time, I had given up on hoping for a response from anyone. I'm happy that I received an email update and that I could remember my password! ;-) Y. schottii looks fantastic! I have grown this species for quite a few years here, but my plants, while large, are not as impressive or nice as those in the pic. I would love to know the seed or plant source for the UBC plants.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Our seed source twenty years ago was an Alan Gilmore collection through Mesa Garden.

5. Linda on Denman

Linda on Denman Member

Thanks, Daniel! I bought my seeds over ten years ago from Mesa (there were two different ID numbers), but they must come from a different location because the leaves are not as wide and the plants are not as impressive looking as the UBC yucca. I hope to find out where the Gilmore collection came from.