Yucca Rostrata infested

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by yuccalover, Jun 11, 2010.

1. yuccalover

yuccalover Member

I have a 10 year old Yucca Rostrada in my garden which has been thriving. However, after a severe snow storm the tree was slightly uprooted but we uprighted it right away. Recently, I noticed a hole at the base of the tree about 2'' wide by 4 " long, which tunnels down about a foot into the ground. The bark looks like it was eaten. I did see large red ants nesting inside. I asked a local nursery if the hole could be caused by carpenter ants or termites but the landscaper said he did not think so. Most likely, he said, the hole was caused by the storm but exacerbated by a mole.

What should I do to get rid of the pests and prevent the tree from dying? I used something called "Eight" and also sprayed the area with organic ant killer, which are both supposedly are not harmful to vegetation.

I have not seen the ants but I am afraid they are still in the ground. We live in the suburbs of Phila and have had an ongoing ant problem in our house (not the red ones).
    Any thoughts on this?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Maybe there is material still present you can make cuttings out of, to start over with.