yucca plants

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Celestial Garden, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Celestial Garden

Celestial Garden Member

Hey everyone. I live in the upper Northeast corner of Ohio. We've had a bad winter! Anyhow, my husband insisted last fall that he could cut our beautiful yucca plants right down to the ground, and they would come back up in the spring, "refreshed." Well, I just checked out by our pool, and out of maybe 6 plants, all I can see is where he'd cut a large one right off at the base/stalk. It looked brown, so I tore at it a little, and it appears dead. Brown and easily torn. There are no other signs of more yuccas coming up. Am I reacting too early? It's only April 1, after all. Or, did the harsh winter possibly kill them, since their cut stalks were basically "exposed"??

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

The soil here in Texas is still too cool for some things it have sprouted
    so I'm sure the same is true where you are.

3. Celestial Garden

Celestial Garden Member

My Yuccas

My husband was right! Our yucca plants DID come back after he'd cut them all down even with the ground last fall. But now, where the plants were before, there are a dozen sprouts popping up all in a cluster. He said to leave them go, but I'm feeling as though we should thin them out. Should we, and if so, how much? Will just one sprout - say, the biggest and healthiest - turn into a nice, large plant itself? How do I thin them? Just pluck? They seem to break off, which makes me think they might grow back. Any suggestions? Thanks, enthusiasts!