Yucca maintenance

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by mcat, Sep 11, 2007.

1. mcat

mcat Member

Sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum. We have a bunch of yucca type plants growing along a full sun area in the back of the house and they are completely out of control. We've neglected them for quite awhile as they don't seem to require much care but this year we decided they need some attention. They started out years ago as just a few individual plants, but have been steadily multiplying. They just grow one on top of the other and it's at the point that the new growth is unable to hold on to the old growth and several fall off each year, as well as they are extending too far out into the yard. I would like to clean this area up. Is now a good time to work on that area? They seem pretty hardy but i don't want to kill them. I think most of the ones on the bottom are dead, and i would like to dig those out and save as many living ones from the top as possible. They are also just too tall when the flower stalks come out so that is part of why i want to remove all the dead/browned bottom plants. Do i just pull them off individually and replant them? You can see from the picture what a mess they've become :/ Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Yeah mcat, like you said they are a pretty hardy plant. I'd take all the dead leaves off to expose the stalk (will look tidier) and the live ones down the bottom will transplant easily. Also if you want to cut them you can, and you should get new growth just under where you have cut, and you can plant the crown, just strip 1/3 of the leaves and a bit of root hormone, if you like. Hope I helped

Ed

3. mcat

mcat Member

Great, thank you. Just to clarify: Are you saying that all the individual looking plants are actually just new growth for flowering shoots, and are coming off of one main stalk? I guess that would make sense, otherwise how would they be getting nutrients and such... I thought perhaps they were individual plants and thats why they would fall off of the main growth area sometimes, because they couldn't root properly or something. I'll probably get to it in the next few days, a bit at a time. Womens World Cup is going on for the next while so that will consume the vast majority of my time until it's over hehe :D