Yucca gloriosa 'Nobilis' in the sloped embarkment garden

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by Yuccafan, Jul 19, 2003.

1. Yuccafan

Yuccafan Member

Yucca gloriosa 'Nobilis' in the sloped embankment garden

Hello,

I have visited a website with pictures of Yucca gloriosa 'Nobilis' in the sloped embankment garden, donated by the Garden Club Vancouver.

Picture:[​IMG]

I don't think it is a 'Nobilis' but another variety.

Websites:http://www.tv.cbc.ca/canadiangardener/GreenThumbs/3-080799aug0799.htm
    http://www.tv.cbc.ca/canadiangardener/MoreDirt/2-1003998oct0398.htm

My question: Is it possible to buy THIS variety somewhere (maybe at the Botanical Garden) and could someone give me more information about this plant grown at the UBC Botanical Garden(pictures of a flowering plant for example?) Anything is welcome!

Many many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Mark
    The Netherlands

Last edited: Sep 29, 2003
  2. Yuccafan

Yuccafan Member

Has anybody any suggestions who I should contact for example?
    Please reply.

Thank you.

Mark
    The Netherlands

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hello Mark,

I'll snap a few photographs of the plant in bloom next week (likely Tuesday). I'll also track down the accession information about the plant (including our source of the plant).

Apologies for being so tardy in reply! Thanks for the reminder, though.

4. Yuccafan

Yuccafan Member

Many many thanks! I highly appreciate it.

Mark
    The Netherlands

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Mark,

What variety do you think it might be? As far as I've been able to determine, no propagations of this particular plant have ever been available at the Shop in the Garden.

These plants were received in the autumn of 1997 from a local private gardener. If you would like to contact him directly via mail, let me know.

Daniel

6. Yuccafan

Yuccafan Member

Maybe it is Yucca gloriosa Superba, but I'm not sure. I try to get some old drawings/pictures of it but haven't had much succes. It could also be some kind of hybrid, but I don't think it is Nobilis because that plant is probably a cross between Y. gloriosa and recurvifolia and has some recurving leaves.

I appreciate it very much if you could give me his email. Just send it to: ikbenerffnietXhotmail.com .
    Did you succeed to make any photos of it?

Mark
    The Netherlands

7. Daniel Mosquin

Hi -

I just attempted to take photos, but the shots were all backlit by strong sun so not worthwhile. Also, the plants aren't in flower (and haven't been this year, from what I can tell). I'll try again in the morning (I'll also send you the mail address then - sorry, no email that I could track down (this was from 6 years ago, after all)).

Daniel

8. Yuccafan

Yuccafan Member

OK. I'll wait for it then. Thank you for your efforts.

Greetings from a very hot Holland, 37 degrees Celc.
    (Heatwave in Europe with record temperature and extreme dry weather, no rain since May in France for example).

Mark
    The Netherlands

9. Daniel Mosquin

Here's the pic... (40% of original size of pic - let me know if you need any closeups)

Attached Files:

10. Yuccafan

Yuccafan Member

Thank you for the photo, it is really a nice plant!
    photo is big enough for me.

(Please check your email).

Mark
    The Netherlands

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Edit
    I had some time to closely look at the photo, and I think I have seen some pictures of it here in Europe so I'll try to get it here first. If I will have no succes I will try to contact the person you mentioned in the email.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Aug 8, 2003