Yucca care problem

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by lilypad, Jul 16, 2005.

1. lilypad

lilypad Member

I have a large Yucca plant indoors. The plant is approx 4feet tall. Just a few days ago I planted it in a new larger pot with fresh topsoil. I also moved it to another room from a slightly too dark a space where the plant was already touching the ceiling. Now it is in a lighter room with twice the ceiling room. My problem is this: whilst in the darkish room, I think the Yucca suffered a bit. I did grow in hight but it started dropping loads of leaves from those growing branches. Now I have lots of bare trunk with some floppy leaves on top. Is it a good idea to cut back these 1 1/2 foot branches (they branch out from the main body of the plant) all the way to the main body trunk? Will the Yucca start new growing from the base where I cut? I have done this with a Dracaena plant before where I get new branches when cutting a trunk in half.

Location: UK, no heating in the room in summer or winter. Summers reasonably warm between 16 and 30 centigrades. Winter temperature approx 10 to 15 centigrades. Window is now North-East facing.

Grateful for ideas or maybe website URLs where they give detals instructions about Yuccas.

Lilypad

2. seahawks2884

seahawks2884 Member

Lilypad I would do a search using google or any other search engine just type in what type Yucca you have .If you don`t know what variety you have just type in Yucca care ,and you will have about 100,000 sites for info on every aspect of Yucca growing, transplanting, prunning ect.