Yucca cane uncontrollable

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Doyle Smith, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Doyle Smith

Doyle Smith Member

It has one long and one short stump, it grows every direction it can ,some are down in the floor. It is like a big bush. How do you get them to go straight up?

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

can you post some pics??

is this in the ground or in a container?

3. Doyle Smith

Doyle Smith Member

it is in a large pot in the front showroom,I did see where to load pic on here, I have a digital camera

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2010
  4. joclyn

dang! that's one EXTREMELY healthy and vibrant yucca!!!!!!!!!!

i can only dream of mine looking that good!!!!!

in all actuality, it does look a bit under-potted and that may be why the offshoots are growing downward...they're looking to root themselves so that they can get more nutrients.

it's still a little early yet to repot - even in your warmer area; i would definitely repot it into a larger container - about 2 inches wider in diameter. do the re-pot in 4-6 weeks...just as spring is starting.

you can also, at that time, cut off some of the branches that are growing downward and then you can pot them up and start new plants.

5. Doyle Smith

Doyle Smith Member

I have one stalk that I broke off just by walkin by,at home in same size pot 1yr old that is as crazy as this one . Im head home now ,Ill snap a pic of it . I just stuck it in a glass of water for a couple of weeks and in the pot it went.I think they are the crazy side of the yucca family. Im not a plant grower really ,but I have lot here at the shop and they do well. I tend to neglect them sometimes.

6. joclyn

yucca don't need a lot of attention, and they tend to do better when a bit neglected :)

you don't need to root yucca in water - just planting them after cutting is fine! actually, being succulents, rooting in water can sometimes cause rot rather than root - you got lucky with that piece that broke off!

there are different types of this kind of yucca. for what you may have, this 'wild' growing form may be the norm.

7. Doyle Smith

Doyle Smith Member

this is the one at home ,its wild growing too.

Attached Files:

8. joclyn

ahh, that one looks pretty darn healthy, too!!

you might try rotating the container - that might keep the growth pattern a bit more upright. (i'm not guaranteeing that, tho, lol).

9. Doyle Smith

Doyle Smith Member

I did notice that they seem to grow away from the sunlight.