yucca cane help

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by nikirii, Jun 21, 2011.

1. nikirii

nikirii Member

I got a beautiful yucca cane from walmart today. it had a nice sturdy trunk with 4 or so good looking shoots with great looking leaves. well, as i was unpacking and getting stuff inside, i took it out of the car and put it on ground beside car. When I came back out, wind had blown it over and one shoot broke off completely, and another is hanging by a thread. Is there any way I can save those gorgeous shoots? Will they sprout roots or anything? I am a new homeowner and have little knowledge about gardening and awful luck with plants. Please help!

2. mrsubjunctive

mrsubjunctive Active Member

I have successfully rooted Yucca guatemalensis (I assume that's the plant we're talking about) sprouts in water or soil after breaking them off. I've never had one fail in water; only occasionally has one failed in soil.

3. nikirii

nikirii Member

Thank you! I put one in soil and one in water and they both have a teeny tiny root now. Do I put the one in water into soil now, or how long can it stay in water? Thanks!

4. mrsubjunctive

mrsubjunctive Active Member

It can stay in water for as long as you want it to stay in water, within reason: the first time I did it, I just put the piece in water "temporarily," and it wound up being there for several months before I potted it up.