young maple in pot

Discussion in 'Maples' started by seed2ash, Nov 11, 2007.

1. seed2ash

seed2ash Member

Hello,
    This is my first post. Until now I have greatly enjoyed reading the threads of this forum. I am new to raising trees and plants but have very quickly become very addicted. My questions may seem dumb, but please humor me. About a year ago I dug up a sugar maple from my parents backyard. Its in a 3.5 pot. Its still only about 4 inches tall. This summer it had 3 leaves, which have by now browned and fallen. I know that maples are fairly slow growing, but it has only grown about a of an inch since Ive had it. It has a small bit of green growth at the top which is turning a bit brown now that we have had a few frosts. Is this growth too slow? Should I be worried? Is there anything I should do during the winter? I have it outside. Would it do better or worse indoors?
    Thanks

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Sedd welcome!!if you cut a litte the branch are green? indoor? in the room like garage covered but not with hot temperature ,for you is possible send one pics of Sugar maple?
    ciao alex

3. seed2ash

seed2ash Member

there is a little bit of new green growth at the top. no i have it outside should i bring it in?

4. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

I'm thinking it would welcome a larger pot. Otherwise, you're effectively bonsai-ing it.

5. seed2ash

seed2ash Member

yeah, that's what i originally had in mind- even though sugar maple dont make great bonsai material. i really just don't want to kill it. should i bring it inside for the winter? since my last post i buried the pot in the ground to help regulate the temp somewhat. should i just bring it in, or bring it in to a place where it will be cold but not too cold like the garage? If i put it in the garage it will not get a lot of light. is that a problem? thanks.

6. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

I would think that what you have done would be adequate with some mulching to protect from frost

7. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

yes if in garage not received ligth ,use mulching or mature fertilize of cow for covered the roots,the branch not have a problem with frost