British Columbia: Young Magnolia Under Stress

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Ingrid, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Ingrid

Ingrid Member

Hello, I am hoping someone can help me with a question I have. We purchased a young Magnolia Caerhay Belle from Van Dusen two years ago. It appeared to do well in its first year, but since then, under stress. Last spring the bloom buds blackened and fell off, which I attributed to a cold winter snap. But then half way through summer the leaves started to turn brown and slowly fall off during the rest of the season. This winter the buds again appeared to die, but now (March) I see new leaf buds forming. Also, I noticed that it seems to be attacked by some sort of orange virus, that appears as spots on the trunk and branches, and rings some of the branches. I should note that the bark did split the first year - this has healed, and a branch was broken off - two areas where something could get in.

Do you think this tree can be saved, or should I start over?

Attached Files:

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

The orange spots seem to be a type of fungus. If that is the case, the tree is a goner.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Cut it off below the infested portion, top dress with composted manure or other aid and see if it sends up a replacement trunk.

Unless the whole top is now shot.

Note that if specimen is grafted sprouts coming from the rootstock will not be 'Caerhays Belle'. You want to see shoots with the same leaves as before.