Young lemon tree yellowing leaves

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Emily, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Emily

Emily New Member

I have a lemon plant I started from seed about a year ago.
    It’s been slowly growing straight up, however about a week ago it started a bunch of new sprouts all around the top that seem great, but then all the leaves started turning yellowish and a few have now fallen off.
    It’s an indoor plant in a south facing window, and has good drainage. I usually water about once a week.
    Is the leaves falling off normal with all the new growth? Or is this odd?

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

You may have an infestation of spider mites. The leaves in the first two photos appear to be speckled and have signs of webbing. Also, do you fertilize the tree regularly?

3. Emily

Emily New Member

Probably fertilize about once a month.
    Anything I can do about spider mites?

4. Janthegardenlady

Janthegardenlady New Member

Yellowing leaves could be a sign of iron deficiency. Have you tried supplementing your lemon plant with iron?

Spider Mites usually occur under very dry conditions. They're difficult to get rid of once you have them. To prevent them, prevent the plant from drying out too much. Container plants often fall victim to Spider Mites due to becoming overly dry.

I'll admit I don't know that much specifically about lemon plants, but these generally are causes of yellowing and/or webbing.

5. Junglekeeper

Spider mites can be treated with a number of soap-based insecticides available, including insecticidal soap. Some choose to make their own soapy solutions. Whichever one you use, spray the plant thoroughly by covering all plant surfaces. Repeat every 7-10 days until they're gone. Applications must be repeated at least once since the spray is ineffective against the eggs.

6. Junglekeeper

Nutritional deficiencies are usually not an issue if the plant is fed regularly using a fertilizer that contains micronutrients. Check the label on your fertilizer to make sure they're present.