yet another question bout finger jade (pruning)

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Billy149, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Billy149

Billy149 Member

hi there, when i asked about the light problem i forgot to ask about the pruning problem. i know that pruning is good for the plant, but where exactly do i do it. my plant is very top heavy at the moment and the finger jade forms a tree shape with no leaves at the bottom but main trunk. i want more branches growing at the lower half of the plant, but the new growth seems to all be at the top, or should i be patient and eventually branches will growth from the bottom.

or

does the new leaves (branches) grow from the top and move down gradually to make way for new branches to grow....arrrr so confused.

anyways got the pic here...so if anyone can help...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Hi again Billy, you will wait for hell to freeze over before you have any branch formation at the base of your Crassula o.

This is the plants naturalised growing habit, while in your potted medium.

The branching will continue only with top growth, age, larger pot and time.... in effect, a small shrub over the years....

Here is my 20 year old C. argentia pix... 1.5 m. tall.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  3. Billy149

Billy149 Member

wow....that is some plant you got there.....so i guess i just have to wait til the branches are too heavy to support itself and behead the plant.

though did read at some site once that where leaves are taken off, it will grow stems and other branches, apparently it's a bonsai technique....

4. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Is that YOUR jade K Baron? It's fantastic! Love the size and shape!