Identification: Yet another plant with no name!

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Chungii V, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

I'm starting to think I should put some of my unknown plants in the stumpers section but here's another I took home and nurtured back to its current state. It was unlabeled and very neglected. It doesn't show that well in the photo but the underside of the leaf has a purple tone. It's about 1.2 m tall and does well in shade.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Naw, it wouldn't be fair to post in Stumpers if you don't know what it is to offer more hints.

I'll take a stab at this one -- some obscure species of Vitex. It bears some resemblance to Vitex trifolia, but this is only a guess.

3. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Thanks Daniel, flower looks like a match and lead me to Vitex trifolia f. purpurea it's also known as Arabian Lilac. Good to read the info from your link, I now know the plant has medicinal properties also!

4. Blake09

Blake09 Active Member

It almost looks like a butterfly bush.
    Blake09

5. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

It is similar to what I'm assuming you mean the Buddleia. I can tell you that this is a far better plant here than the Buddleia. I actually went out of my way to order in different Buddleia a couple of years ago because I remember them from back in another area I lived. They were beautiful arching shrubs back then but they never did so well here. I think humidity is too high here (around 70% daily in summer) they must prefer the drier inland areas.
    Apart from the older gardener there was little interest in them here either as the trend is very much sub tropical. From dealing with plant sales I have been amazed at the number of people moving here from southern Australia and everyone wants a palm because they couldn't grow them before.

6. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I suggest you call it Yomar.

7. Davidm

Davidm Active Member 10 Years

Better go with Daniel on this one.

8. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Yeah it's definitely Vitex trifolia f. purpurea as in my first reply and it's definitely not a Buddleia, but Lorax has confused me this time on this one (Yomar?)
    I was just agreeing they're similar with their inflorescence, which is where the similarities stop.

9. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

I think Lorax means you should give name it 'Yomar', like I have named by Cordy 'Mushu' after the dragon in the film Mulan because it is a Cordyline terminalis 'red dragon' :D

10. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

OH like we named Crassula golem 'Shrek's Ears' :}