Yet Another Japanese Maple Question

Discussion in 'Maples' started by matpal, Apr 20, 2010.

1. matpal

matpal Member

Hello All,

My apologies for yet another Japanese Maple question, but I am having much trouble deciphering much of the information that turns up when searching for answers as I am a gardening newbie. So I thought it would be better just to flat out ask people smarter than I.

I'm just outside St. Louis, MO and in 2007, we had a very deep April freeze that lasted about 5 days. I thought it killed my 2 year old Japanese Maple, but apparently not as it started to slowly grow back the next year, albeit from different points on the tree - the tell-tale Japanese Maple "umbrella shape" was indeed dead and has since broken off.

Now what has grown in is green - completely green. It does not change with the seasons and the shape has become absolutely horrendous.

I have read that it is not advisable to shape/cut these trees, and furthermore, it would seem that my tree has lost all ability to grow red due to grafting or whatever that practice is, that I have no idea on the technical aspects of it.

So I do not know if I should just dig this out and try to start over, or if after 3 years of nothing but ugly, green, wild-growth, it could somehow be salvaged.

Thanks in advance for any help

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

It sounds like you had a grafted maple and the grafted part was killed but the rootstock, probably a typical green palmatum, survived. If that is the case then there is absolutely no chance of it returning to its former shape or color, and, if you don't like the new type growth, then dig it out and start again.

HTH, sorry I can't be more positive.

3. MarkVIIIMarc

MarkVIIIMarc Active Member

Hello Matpal,

I'm in St. Louis also. Way up on the north side of the county in 63138.

If it doesn't rain Sunday I'm thinking about going down to MOBOT. Sort of a knee operation rehabilitation walk lol. I've already done my planting this year so I'll post some pics if I see any new maples down there.

How far out of St. Louis are you? Depending what map I look at going up towards Troy, MO or Springfield IL is zone 5 so you have to be careful in your Japanese Maple selection.