British Columbia: Yet another hedge question (privacy, noise)

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Nate Day, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    in response to Margot question earlier today July 17/19 - dead branches / gap at bottom of wild cedars used as hedge ------

I think this happened because it's close quarters for them all to be planted together and it was a bunch of dead dry twigs at the bottom of the plants in a "hedge type row" .... which makes sense because wild cedars don't typically grow in nature all pushed together as far as I've seen - and next to a street and maybe concrete sidewalks etc

so I would say - plant something compatible in design and culture under at the same time and get it established (salal? and sword ferns?) to cover that gap --- both of these plants can tolerate dry shade once established and don't mind living with wild cedars (western red cedar)

the hedge I described earlier today *(above) - it was in a typical SW BC coast climate - wet winter with some ice/snow --- and hot dry summer with very strict water use rules - and a lazy gardener - or maybe the hose connection was far away.