yellowish foliage

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Artemisia, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Artemisia

Artemisia Member

I put in some new beds this year using purchased topsoil supplemented with seaweed straight from the beach and coffee grounds. Some species are doing fine, but some such as basil and beans are rather yellowish. The basil in particular. The beans also have a layer (four sheets) of newspaper under the bed to smother the grass under the soil. Could the yellowing be from the salt from the seaweed? I have already decided that in future I will compost seaweed and coffee grounds first. It seems that the issue of needing to rinse seaweed is controversial and I would prefer not to have the hassle and water use that it entails, but will do it in future if necessary.

Thank you for any input.
    April

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

April--I suspect those two plants are waiting for warmer weather...mine are also sulking in our typical June days.

3. Artemisia

Artemisia Member

Oh of course! I had missed the commonality of them both being lovers of warmth. I hadn't realized that could be at the root of their off colour. This cool wet weather could make me a little off-colour too. : ) Thank you, Growest!

April

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Seems likely, basil in particular liking more warmth than may be usual here. To find out if the soil has issues, sample it and have it tested.

5. Artemisia

Artemisia Member

Thanks Ron. I will be getting a soil sample tested at some point, I simply have not gotten to it. I also think it is helpful to recognize what qualities are suggestive of deficiencies or other problems.
    April

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It can be hard to tell just looking at the plant, not very reliable.