Yellowing Alocasia Borneo King

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Lion012, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Lion012

Lion012 New Member

Hello all,

I’m new to the plant game. I just bought a Borneo King Alocasia. And one of the leaves seem to be yellowing. I bought it with some sun damage but now I’m worried it could be fungus related. Other than this leaf it looks very green and it’s not dropping. The roots are also coming out from the bottom so I’m getting ready to get a bigger pot this spring. But considering it’s winter I don’t want to change it’s pot yet. I wonder if that has anything to do with it’s yellowing? Any help would be great! Thank you!
    upload_2020-1-6_21-34-20.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2020
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Is this an old leaf or a new leaf? It's not going to keep all its leaves forever - the old ones will die off. Maybe you can show us a photo of the whole plant.

By the way, I think this is Colocasia (maybe Colocasia gigantea?) rather than Alocasia. I was told on a botanical garden tour on O'ahu that it's Colocasia that have peltate leaves (that means that the stem attaches to the leaf underside inside the leaf margin, not at the margin).

3. Lion012

Lion012 New Member

Thank you! It could be. I was told by a friend that the Borneo king is a hybrid so it can stand some wintery temperatures. With that said, I haven’t been able to find much about it’s care. I hate to be that guy. But I’ve had success with plants before, so when I say it I couldn’t resist. This is the full plant. Please excuse the background. [ATTACHl]170459[/ATTACH] upload_2020-1-7_6-9-45.jpeg upload_2020-1-7_6-10-26.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2020
  4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

5. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

'Borneo King' is definitely an Alocasia, not a Colocasia, and this one does look right for a young A. 'Borneo King'. Whenever you buy a new tropical plant and take it from a high-light, high-humidity, greenhouse with stable perfect temperature, into a relatively dark, dry house, there is usually always some die off. This really needs massively more light to survive the couple-few months before you can put it outside. Everyday, before dawn, that window blind needs to be raised all the way up, not just the slats opened, and put the plant right in the middle; and if you really want to do well, get some all-day supplemental fluorescent or LED light to add on to it.

This cultivar should be hardy down to zone 8b, but that is only the underground part of the plant in perfect conditions; so at this point putting that young tender plant straight outside might kill it. You get freezing temps sometimes in LA?

Sundrop likes this.
  6. Lion012

Lion012 New Member

I have started putting it by my south window with the blinds completely open. It’s getting plenty of morning sun that goes to the afternoon. The leaf seems to be getting yellower, but it has new growth coming in so I’m figuring as the new leaf is coming through, the old ones are dying off. But the younger leaves are completely green and absolutely beautiful. The root system is crowded in the nursery pot it’s in, so I will be making the switch to a slightly bigger pot come spring. I recently visited the nursery I got it from and the other Borneo king they had looked really bad. I’m guessing because it’s been so cold lately. Where I’m at in LA it’s been consistently in the low 40’s at night. But I am taking notes on how to really care for this guy come spring. If you have any other information that can help me. I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much for responding. :)