Yellow Leafs on Morning Glories

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by BobN, Jul 6, 2007.

1. BobN

BobN Member

I have planted some MG's in some pots to climb a trelles. They are doing great but I noticed that some of the leaves at the bottom are turning completely yellow. Why?

The pots have good drainage. I keep them watered. They get plenty of sunlight. They are growing like crazy. The pots also have petunias growing in them and they are doing great.

I suspect they need fertilizer as the soil could get drained after several waterings. If they need fertilizer what kind should I apply? Any recomendations? I live in Maryland.

2. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

I suspect over-watering. The same phenomina has occured on some of my Morning Glory in the past. Morning glory blooms best when "abused", the plant grows great greenery if fertilized and over-watered, but not too many flowers. In almost dry containers they are prolific bloomers. Just my two cents worth.

http://www.durgan.org/Blog/Durgan.html

3. BobN

BobN Member

Thank you. I think you're right. I stopped watering the MG's every day as you suspected I was and let the pots dry out for a couple of days before watering again. I also noticed that the yellow leaves went away and I see more blooms...